Is the loss of funcitonality worth the change of look?

Story: Full Circle mag reviews Xubuntu on Asus EEE PCTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
adodson

Mar 03, 2008
12:52 PM EDT
Okay, so the default OS looks like a toy, but after he installed eeeXubuntu, he couldn't make the webcam work, the battery indicator didn't work right, and enabling sound made some games crash.

Is the default OS that ugly? Perhaps he couldn't get some necessary applications installed on the tweaked Xandros install. He didn't mention that. The impetus for installing eeeXubuntu seemed to be cosmetic alone.

I'm very interested in UMPC's, especially the Asus EEE PC. I just heard they'll soon be shipping a new version with an 8.9 inch screen and more RAM / storage. http://eeesite.net/2008/03/asus-announces-next-generation-ee...

No details on higher resolution, though you'd expect that with the larger screen size. That's the clincher for me. If the price isn't WAY higher, I think I'm sold.

Sander_Marechal

Mar 03, 2008
2:01 PM EDT
A nice machine, but not for EUR 399. The Eee PC is great because it has an incredible sweetspot of low price combined with enough hardware for easy browsing, mailing, etcetera. EUR 399 is too much. For that money I can get a full laptop.

But dang, if the 4G or 8G version with the 9" screen is EUR 200 or 250 then I'm getting one!
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 03, 2008
8:01 PM EDT
I have to agree Sander, with the 9" screen, it makes it a very cool, very low priced laptop.

I am getting one too.
tracyanne

Mar 03, 2008
9:07 PM EDT
I'm not allowed to, my partner won't let me.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 03, 2008
10:10 PM EDT
It seems that some in the area of tracyanne needs a good flogging..

:-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!