Lost IRQ

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Mar 04, 2008
9:02 PM EDT
I'm in need of some help.

I just got a new laptop, a Dell D531 dual core AMD64. Pretty sweet. But I can't get any CD to boot to install Linux on it. A couple of seconds into the boot process I get "hda: lost irq". hda is my DVD-RW. At first I thought it was an issue with the Debian Lenny netinst CD but other distro's dont work either (GParted Live, Mandriva, PCLinuxOS). I googled around and found the `irqpoll` boot option but that didn't solve anything.

My best guess (which isn't very educated in this case) is an IRQ conflict. But there are no IRQ options in the BIOS to play with. Does any of you have an idea?
mmelchert

Mar 05, 2008
1:19 AM EDT
what about pci=noacpi or acpi=off as kernel parameter instead?
Sander_Marechal

Mar 05, 2008
3:49 AM EDT
Thanks for the advice, but I won't be able to try. The adventure with the new D531 quickly ended when I found out there's a broadcom bmc4310 wireless chip in it. At first I swapped it with the Intel ipw3945 card in my D520 laptop, but the D531 didn't recognise it (`lspci` couldn't see it and it should be able to do that, regardless of drivers, firmware, etcetera). After that followed a bunch of failed attempts to get the bmc4310 working on the D520 it was now in, using the bcm43xx driver. No success at all.

So, I gave up and simply swapped out the DVD recorder and extra 1GB RAM into my D520 and put the ipw3945 back. I'll be using the D520 and a coworker of mine will be getting the D531, albeit with just 1GB or RAM and no burner. My D520 is fast enough for my work. The only things I missed were a DVD recorder (I only had a DVD-ROM), some memory and bluetooth. Two out of three ain't bad, especially not if number three can be fixed with a $10 bluetooth dongle :-)
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 05, 2008
8:49 AM EDT
Now that is the solution of a true hacker. :-)

"Stupid thing won't work? Fine, I'll just take what I need to make some nice upgrades the computer I have that does work."

At least that's what I would have done..not that I am any kind of "true hacker" or anything. Let's just say that I am not against the taking of better hardware from one computer that's being a pain in the ass to make another one that already works, better..

I think that the "technical" term for that would be Hardware Pillager, no?

LOL!!

Sander_Marechal

Mar 05, 2008
1:46 PM EDT
<homer>Hmmm... pillaging.....</homer>

I love pillaging hardware, both new and old. A few weeks ago I went to our local recycling point to bring in my old and broken TV. I saw the guys pulling apart computers that other people handed it. A big stack of late P3, early P4 types (probably dumped there because the owner needed new hardware for Vista). All I could think was "Parts!". So many good video cards. So much good RAM. NICs. 20 and 40 GB hard drives. So many nice toys I could use to upgrade older Linux PCs that I gave away to friends. You'd be surprised how hard it is to get your hands on 128 and 256 MB SDRAM. It's not like anyone is selling them anymore.

Oh well :-)
alc

Mar 05, 2008
2:09 PM EDT
Sander,if you mean pc 100 and pc 133,you can still get it at Newegg. [url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147 1052107967&name=168-Pin SDRAM]http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=...[/url]

Edit; Sorry I forgot you were in The Netherlands.

You cannot post until you login.