My low-cost Linux PC

Story: Another low cost Linux PC. I think we can officially call it a trendTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Mar 06, 2008
7:41 AM EDT
I've been specing out my next hardware purchase, to replace the wife's 1G Athalon box.

2.2GHz Phenom 2G ram 250GB Serial ATA drive onboard accelerated video $550.

Not bad, and no Windows tax because I can reuse the WinXP we have and install it in VirtualBox or some other container so that it is better utilized than running XP natively.

Being able to recycle the CD burner, 802.11 card, keyboard, mouse, screen, etc, sure cuts down the cost of upgrading. But now I have two more IDE drives to throw away... :^(
techiem2

Mar 06, 2008
8:48 AM EDT
Quoting:But now I have two more IDE drives to throw away...

Heresy! Old disks are to be dban'd and saved for other usage (until they physically die)!
Bob_Robertson

Mar 06, 2008
8:51 AM EDT
Actually, what I was going to do is use the larger of the IDE disks as the system disk, and put /home on the SATA disk.

So what use is an 8GB IDE disk anyway?
techiem2

Mar 06, 2008
9:00 AM EDT
8GB is perfect for a lightweight desktop or a server. :)
jdixon

Mar 06, 2008
9:33 AM EDT
> So what use is an 8GB IDE disk anyway?

I'm sure Ken would be happy to have it for his Komputers4Kids program. You can contact him at http://www.lobby4linux.com
thenixedreport

Mar 06, 2008
9:57 AM EDT
Recycle the 8 GB. In other words, strip the metal and other parts from it and sell it to a recycling center. ;)
gus3

Mar 06, 2008
9:38 PM EDT
> 8GB is perfect for a lightweight desktop or a server.

And smaller is perfect for a dedicated firewall.
wjl

Mar 07, 2008
9:08 AM EDT
8 GB is really perfect if you mount your /homes from elsewhere over NFS. I usually make partitions of that size for the OS. Your /homes could still be on that Terabyte RAID somewhere (where they actually belong, so you have *one* array to back up.

But you guys & gals know all that... ;-)
Bob_Robertson

Mar 07, 2008
11:21 AM EDT
The last time I tried setting up a separate / and /home, I started with an 8GB / partition. Sorry, but it filled up much too fast.

Since I was repeatedly reformatting due to trying things out on a new machine, I found that 10GB for / was the minimum. The old XP machine has the original 8GB disk and an additional 20GB "D:" drive. I'll utilize the 20GB disk for /, the new 250GB for /home and swap, since it's a SATA disk.

Even a Debian unstable desktop should be fine in 20GB for a few years... :^)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!