Jobs Is Getting It Wrong On Both Counts

Story: Steve Jobs' Endangered Second ActTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
moopst

Mar 07, 2008
7:45 PM EDT
The PC won because it was an open hardware platform. Multiple vendors were able to create their PC-"Compatible" hardware and they all ran DOS. This drove down the price and up the performance. But it remained closed on the software side allowing Gates and Co to become gizillionaires.

Going closed on the hardware and toll road / DRM on the application software is as bad or worse than he did with the Apple's of the '80's. I don't recall paying a 30% tax on software I ran on my IIIc.
thenixedreport

Mar 07, 2008
11:10 PM EDT
Steve Jobs should quite now while he's ahead. He thinks he knows better than other people what an innovative product is. I'm thinking about an idea that, if implemented, would blow the iPod out of the water!
azerthoth

Mar 08, 2008
9:05 PM EDT
There are lots of things that blow iLemming products out of the water. Simply put, it's the techno yuppie who is staying fashionable that Jobs & co targets so effectively. Heck my 4+ year old PDA does everything that an iphone will and more. The draw back with the PDA being as old as it is, I have to use VoIP for phone calls.
ColonelPanik

Mar 09, 2008
6:48 AM EDT
You can fool some of the people some of the time and thats good enough.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!