In a word

Story: Has Dell Delivered on GNU/Linux?Total Replies: 11
Author Content
tracyanne

Mar 21, 2008
1:03 PM EDT
No.

EDIT: I won't touch Dell, and I don't recommend it to any one I have the slightest amount of influence with.
helios

Mar 21, 2008
1:16 PM EDT
Allow me to expand on my esteemed colleague's rather abrupt but astute response.

Hell No.

I won't go through the laundry list now because it has been hung out to dry on many lines previous to this. Now, I know any competitor will down-talk or criticize their competion...it's to be expected, but being that I am personally and professionally involved with these folks, I believe what was reported to me dwelled more firmly in the accurate observation camp and not that of sour grapes.

Dell's presentation of Ubuntu, especially on their laptops was so badly broken that many of us would consider it broken beyond use. When these things were reported to me, I had to think twice who was telling me this because it seemed almost impossible for a corporation such as Dell to put out a product as badly damaged as this one was. Once my tin foil hat was firmly on, and the chin strap was in place, I began to realize that Dell may have done this on purpose so they could come back and say:

See...we told you Linux would not have a market within the OEM. LInux Sux.

They could then legitimately say that they tried and had proved that Linux had no place in the market and they could go back to doing business as usual.

I still think if this wasn't the purpose of producing a crappy product, it was at least discussed/suggested.
tracyanne

Mar 21, 2008
1:21 PM EDT
I've also discovered that Lenovo, who apparently support SuSE on their machines elsewhere, do not have any plans to support it in Australia. So Lenovo are off my Christmas card list as well.

The only company I personally would recommend to anyone is ZaReason, as it's economically viable to purchase their products and have them shipped to Australia, and still get a machine comparable to what Lenovo and Dell offer us here, but with a Linux pre installed (and I'm not exactly an Ubuntu fan).
helios

Mar 21, 2008
1:32 PM EDT
You can request another distro I believe...I should know for sure but I think you can do that. I do know that they were thinking about mint...and yes, the differences between teh two are growing steadily...with mint coming out the better imo
techiem2

Mar 21, 2008
1:42 PM EDT
Gentoo runs quite nicely on my UltraLapSR (I left the preinstalled Ubuntu Studio alone and installed Gentoo alongside it). :) I'd buy another ZaReason box in a heartbeat...if I had money to buy another box right now....
Steven_Rosenber

Mar 21, 2008
5:14 PM EDT
I'm not sure about what Linux flavors ZaReason will load for you, but I met the company's CTO, Earl, at SCALE 6X, and he's a very nice, very knowledgeable guy. I had no idea that ZaReason does quite a bit of assembly themselves. I had thought they took prebuilt systems and slapped Ubuntu on them, but that's not the case. There's even some assembly on their part when it comes to their laptop line.

And now that Wolfgang Lonien is running a ZaReason outpost in Europe, they've got a lot more reach. And Wolfgang in particular will gladly install Debian, I figure.
helios

Mar 21, 2008
5:25 PM EDT
Having been invited to the Linux Foundation second annual Consortium this year, I was pleased to see Earl's name on the list as well. LOL...we both voiced a bit of amazement that we were to keep company with giants for three days.

https://www.linux-foundation.org/events/collaboration
gus3

Mar 21, 2008
8:42 PM EDT
@tc, helios:

When I read your first two comments, it's a good thing I had no beverage in my mouth.
tracyanne

Mar 21, 2008
11:32 PM EDT
I'm about to liberate another Lenovo. A Lady who grew up with our friend, just gave me her brand new Lenovo 3000 N200 with unregistered (machine never even booted yet) Windows Vista, to install Mandriva Linux, just like I did for our friend.

Take that Lenovo Australia.
ColonelPanik

Mar 22, 2008
7:37 AM EDT
Way to go tracyanne. You should look at HeliOS Solutions. http://www.lobby4linux.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&It...

That might be a good side job for you?
helios

Mar 22, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
Thanks Bob...Glad to see you got some rest.

That site you noted will be reverting back to an advocacy and information site soon. The new site for HeliOS Solutions is http://www.fixedbylinux.com. So you may forward it to anyone who wants to know what K4K is all about you can get to it via the about link, http://www.fixedbylinux.com/about

Tracyanne...that isn't a bad idea. Call it what you want or call it HeliOS Solutions Down Under...there's no cost to you for doing so. Since I offered to Open Source our business plan and forego any franchising opportunities (my wife is STILL pissed about that), the name is free to use. We also guide you in advertising strategies. Just when you get wildly successful, kindly donate a portion back to K4K,

Ken
tracyanne

Mar 22, 2008
3:11 PM EDT
Thanks Ken, I'll have to have a serious think about this.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!