Billionaires considered harmful?

Story: Open Source Software Made Developers Cool. Now It Can Make Them RichTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
jezuch

Mar 25, 2008
4:04 AM EDT
Quoting:complaints that even to look for billionaires violated the spirit of the open source movement

Frankly, I don't get it. There's a bright side of capitalism: if you are a billionaire (and you didn't inherit all this), this means that you are good at what you're doing. There's a dark side of capitalism: if you are a billionaire this means that you are a leech and take away from the poor. But to be assuming that there can't ever be billionaires in FOSS because it violates the spirit? That's too much, I think...
thenixedreport

Mar 25, 2008
9:00 AM EDT
It's because people are trapped in the Robin Hood theory of economics. The only reason things worked out for Robin Hood was because of the way things were working out back then. There was a ruler who was not necessarily legitimate (according to the story), and was abusing their subjects. The idea of course was to take from the rich and give to the poor.

That's a story based in England several hundred years ago, and can not be applied today. Then there's the issue of being accused of "selling out." Now some of it does exist and can be easily spotted in my opinion. However, what about the scenarios in which people have a sincere offer put on their table due to the value that is seen in what they do as opposed to simply attempting to extinguish their efforts? It reminds me of the social issues of other community types in which they always complain about being oppressed, but when somebody attempts to truly better themselves, they are accused of selling out.
tracyanne

Mar 25, 2008
1:28 PM EDT
@ thenixedreport, tall poppy syndrome.
thenixedreport

Mar 25, 2008
2:15 PM EDT
Quoting:@ thenixedreport, tall poppy syndrome.

For those who don't know what he is talking about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tall_poppy_syndrome

Quoting:Critics of the tall poppy syndrome sometimes declare that the United States is relatively free of “tall poppy” attitudes. Americans are thought to appreciate the successful, seeing them as an example to admire and attempt to emulate.

Oh it can happen in the U.S. too. Certain cultures do have the self-enforcing idea of not being above everyone else (and if a person doesn't act a certain way in that culture, then it is assumed that something's wrong with them). A lot of us tend to have the idea of wanting to cut the arrogant down to size. The issue however is confusing the two categories known as arrogance and confidence.
jezuch

Mar 25, 2008
3:43 PM EDT
Ah, we have a better name for this: Polish Hell [it's from a story in which only the Poles don't have to be guarded by devils in Hell, because although all the other people cooperate to escape, Poles always pull back those who are trying to get out and are somewhat successful].
gus3

Mar 25, 2008
8:23 PM EDT
"Lobster bucket syndrome." No need to cover the bucket full of lobsters, because as one starts to crawl out, the others latch on and drag it back down.
thenixedreport

Mar 25, 2008
10:03 PM EDT
@gus3:

Bingo! The whole idea is a paradox really.

"I'm being oppressed so badly, I wish I could do better!"

"Wait! That person's out of line! Time to remind them where they came from!"

I'm feeling a fictional story coming on.... hmm.......

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!