Now I will cry.

Story: News flash: DIS 29500 passes with minimal approvalTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 01, 2008
1:07 PM EDT
Microsoft now have their shoddy ISO approved standard that only they can implement fully (although it remains to be seen if they ever do). In the process they have destroyed the integrity of the ISO, bribed, gamed, and in general demonstrated contempt for just about every one.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 01, 2008
1:30 PM EDT
> (although it remains to be seen if they ever do)

They didn't in Office2007, why should they bother in the future?
dinotrac

Apr 01, 2008
1:35 PM EDT
It's time to shake your head, for sure, but too early to cry.

I'm very disappointed that they fast-tracked such a bad standard, but always expected OOXML to pass at some point. The reality is that too many people rely on Office for it not to happen. All of those companies and all of those organizations plus Microsoft's clout and willingness to be utterly underhanded made it inevitable.
herzeleid

Apr 01, 2008
1:47 PM EDT
I can only hope this wakes people up, and that more of us will become sick to death of the 800 pound gorilla who always, always, always gets everything he wants, when he wants it, and how he wants it.

The convicted monopolist seems to be above the law, and gets a free ride, everywhere, every time, no matter what laws are broken. I don't get it, but I tell you what, this sure sucks, and that's a fact.
tuxchick

Apr 01, 2008
2:09 PM EDT
There could be a silver lining- perhaps third-party vendors who want to implement this hyena sack of a standard will apply enough pressure to force microshaft to inch towards actually making this a genuine open standard, rather than an ISO-blessed set of handcuffs.

Quit laughing, you're hurting my feelings.
tracyanne

Apr 01, 2008
3:10 PM EDT
Quoting:Quit laughing, you're hurting my feelings.

Thanks TC, you made me laugh.
jdixon

Apr 01, 2008
4:35 PM EDT
Look at the bright side. Microsoft is now stuck with something that has to at least claim to implement the standard in order to get those ISO required bids for their apron string tied vendors.
dinotrac

Apr 01, 2008
6:07 PM EDT
Hmmm ---

As I feared, and as the response to the Durusau letter makes clear, one silver lining seems determined not to show it's face:

One reason Microsoft can pull something like this off is because it isn't working alone. Lots of companies and organizations have a stake in it. Microsoft has learned along the line that the best way to make a pile of money is to help others make piles of money too. Not competitors -- you don't want them getting stronger, but...vars, consultants, companies who make products that piggyback your own. Create products that corporations and other organizations can customize. I wonder how many companies rely on assorted word templates and Excel spreadsheets?

Never mind that Microsoft screws these people daily. They make money in the process and probably pass it along to somebody else anyway.

Sad thing is, FOSS is a much more compelling vernture when it comes to making money. What FOSS doesn't have is a strategy and team getting that message across and listening to the needs of the pipeline.

tracyanne

Apr 01, 2008
6:57 PM EDT
Quoting:Sad thing is, FOSS is a much more compelling vernture when it comes to making money. What FOSS doesn't have is a strategy and team getting that message across and listening to the needs of the pipeline.

On both counts very true.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!