I use it on my Mandriva Systems.

Story: Look out VirtualPC and VMWare... VirtualBox is in the houseTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
tracyanne

Apr 08, 2008
11:52 PM EDT
It's good. Much prefer it to VMWare.
jacog

Apr 09, 2008
12:22 AM EDT
Same here. It's much smaller than VMWare, easier to use, and while I am sure it lacks features that VMWare might possibly have - I have not come across any.
cabreh

Apr 09, 2008
6:31 AM EDT
It's a pain to set up a bridged network for the VM client. At least compared to how easy that is with VMware Server. And that's very important if you need Active directory access from your Windows client running on a Linux system.

Unless they have really made changes since 1.5.x when I tried it.

jdixon

Apr 09, 2008
6:48 AM EDT
> ...and while I am sure it lacks features that VMWare might possibly have...

VMware's snapshot and remote access/control features are impressive, though I personally have little use for them. I don't know if VirualBox has anything equivalent or not, not having tried it yet (it's downloaded and in the queue to get to eventually). They seem to actively support Slackware, which is more than I can say for VMware.
helios

Apr 09, 2008
8:12 AM EDT
This has been a contentious topic here but Virtualbox has come out on top for its new user friendliness (aside from getting the Kernel confusion straightened out). This group seems laser focused on new user friendliness. I like it here...mommy can I stay...pplleeeaaasssssseeeeeeeee

h
azerthoth

Apr 09, 2008
8:19 AM EDT
I use it on occasion, mostly on my laptop as part of my show and tell for potential new linux users. When I show them that they can still run a full blown windows install if they absolutely must. I have also used it when I was giving a hand to a friend of mine who teaches solaris. When he wanted an easy way to let his students be able to stay proficient or practice without having to do a bare metal install, vbox and damn small solaris fit the bill.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!