I hope this pans out

Story: VIA Announces Strategic Open Source Driver Development InitiativeTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Apr 09, 2008
9:01 AM EDT
My laptop has the VN800 chipset and it's great except for the fact that the via drivers won't display on the panel, and the openchrome drivers are unstable and don't play video.

So I get to use the vesa driver, which is fine except it wont turn off the back light when I want to turn off the panel, and all of the video decoding is done by the processor, which on my celeron takes all of the processing resources.

I sure hope that they are able to get some stable drivers that will work.
Shagbag

Apr 09, 2008
11:09 AM EDT
I hope it pans out as welln but as an owner of various VIA mobos over the years, and a (semi-) active member of the Linux forum at VIAArena, I can't help but think it won't.

VIA makes these sort of grandiose announcements about its Linux support every now and again but they invariably end up amounting to nothing but hot air.

So what have they done this time? - moved the linux forum on VIAArena to its own web site. I can't help but think they did this (a) because the linux forum was one of the most active on VIAArena, and (b) because the linux forum on VIAArena was the most vocal about the pathetic support VIA gives linux.

The fact of the matter is that VIA is more interested in posting links to videos about some VIA employee who actually got the (binary-only) Ubuntu 7.04 graphics driver to run, rather than answer the ever increasing list of posts from VIA owners frustrated that it doesn't work for them like it did for the guy in the video.

I stopped buying VIA hardware about 6 months ago as I've already got a command-line-only home server and don't need another one (or an expensive door stop, for that matter).

Keep crying 'wolf' VIA, I'm not listening any more.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!