So at last we learn the "why".

Story: ISO takes up Open XML-ODF 'harmonization' as Norwegians protestTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Apr 11, 2008
12:32 PM EDT
I've been wondering why MS went through all this effort, money, time and ill will to get certification for a file format they don't even use.

Now we know.

MS can't buy-out F/OSS. They have no effective patent or copyright attacks, as the rousing success of their SCOX, I mean "sock", puppet law-suit demonstrated.

The Novell tactic is the front against the kernel, but now we know how MS is going to try to destroy the most formidable threat to their MS-Office cash-cow!

"Harmonize" ODF with a format that no one uses, not even MS. Brilliant! I salute the genius of the Microsoft legal and marketing departments.
tuxchick

Apr 11, 2008
12:39 PM EDT
Quoting: I salute the genius of the Microsoft legal and marketing departments.

How many and which fingers?
Bob_Robertson

Apr 11, 2008
12:53 PM EDT
I was thinking a 21-gun salute, personally. That should be sufficient, with decent aiming.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 11, 2008
1:28 PM EDT
Nice! So they will ensure that ODF along with OOXML will not work period, that way the only format that will work will be their's, maybe, sorta, kinda, as long as you have the most current version of MS Office.

I have to admit, its brilliant.
tuxchick

Apr 11, 2008
1:53 PM EDT
Seems to me it would be a whole lot less work and more beneficial over the long run to do things the right way, instead of turning every single last little situation into a quagmire of perversity and obstruction. It's like pathological liars, or drug addicts, or people with obsessive-compulsive disorders- they can't help themselves no matter how awful the consequences.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 11, 2008
2:00 PM EDT
> It's like pathological liars, or drug addicts, or people with obsessive-compulsive disorders-

Microsoft. Yep. Addicted to market share.
nikkels

Apr 11, 2008
10:15 PM EDT
Nice! So they will ensure that ODF along with OOXML will not work period

Remember windows 3.0 worked well with 3th party ....then windows 3.1 came along..and suddenly it didn't work anymore.
gus3

Apr 11, 2008
11:17 PM EDT
... or it did work, but scared users with bogus "error messages."

(DR-DOS, anyone?)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!