Maybe it's before dawn and still hard to see clearly ...

Story: Sun Tackles Video CodecTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
TxtEdMacs

Apr 13, 2008
9:05 AM EDT
But I wish Sun would focus on the video part. They seemed to have missed Ogg Vorbis efforts. Perhaps I am missing something that makes Ogg inappropriate for web services, if so please correct me (with facts).

Next there are at least two projects to create free video codecs, hence, I wish too that Sun would cooperate or invite those groups to join efforts rather than another scatter shot attempt to hog the glory.

Sorry, just chalk this up to a bleak, cynical view with the new leader's (of the ISO on the OOXML integration effort with ODF) attacking irresponsible words pillorying the latter organization's good name and reputation regarding the techniques employed to get the standard approved. By the way he thinks the latter process, by itself, validates the OOXML standard worthiness. At best, illogical, circular thought process. I have a harsher assessment.
Bob_Robertson

Apr 13, 2008
9:30 AM EDT
It does surprise me that Sun can't see what the "community" already has/uses. Maybe, just maybe, they have a little bit of "Not Invented Here" syndrome.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 13, 2008
12:47 PM EDT
Or they're going to work on something better. Theora is good but not great. H.264 has better quality. Unlike Vorbis which is superior to MP3 and AAC. Perhaps Sun is trying to work on the next iteration in video codecs, ensuring that the future of audio/video is free.

Yes, I'm an optimist. Sometimes.
jezuch

Apr 13, 2008
2:31 PM EDT
Errr, Dirac?...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!