everyone is going berserk

Story: Novell CEO Disses Embrace of Desktop LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
tuxchick

Apr 18, 2008
9:36 AM EDT
So yesterday we suffered from a rash of "Red Hat cruelly disappoints by blatantly stating they are not going to have a consumer Linux desktop!!" Never mind that's been their position for years, and even back in the pre-RHEL days they downplayed the commercial consumer desktop, and kept their focus on the enterprise. It was a stupid gaggle of metoo articles anyway, that totally missed the point of the blog that started it all, and went out of their way to single out and sensationalize a minor comment. Shame on all of them. Worthless herdbeasts with hardly a brain cell in total.

Now Ron H. is getting crabbed at because he says

Quoting: the Desktop Linux market, in the next 3 to 5 years, is mainly enterprise-related and that the consumer market will take longer to develop.

He doesn't say it's dead, or that he is opposed to Novell someday having a consumer Linux desktop. Though I don't know why Novell would want to; they have never had any retail consumer products. The author of the article says

Quoting: I think it sends a negative message for the CEO of a company that produces a product to make such a statement about that product.

Is Linux so fragile that we must censor everything anyone says about it? Only happy shiny comments allowed. Sheesh. Grow up already.
dinotrac

Apr 18, 2008
9:52 AM EDT
TC -

What's that line from A Few Good Men? "The truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Second on the Sheesh.
herzeleid

Apr 18, 2008
12:27 PM EDT
From where I sit, the provocative headline seemed completely at odds with the quoted comments by Hovespian, who merely indicated that he's taking the long view, and accepts that this is going to take time.

Internally, Novell is still going with a linux desktop migration, and they continue to work on desktop usability. So I would have to rate them higher than redhat on their desktop report card at this point.

Competition among linux vendors is good for us - I'm looking forward to hardy heron, and will take a good long look at it - maybe this is the ubuntu release that can pull me away from suse, or at least become another viable option - I'm willing to be persuaded.

tracyanne

Apr 18, 2008
2:05 PM EDT
Well Ron H. may be right, who knows, but suddenly my Computers and Security forum (which is a blatant plug for Linux) on a Yuku Social board has started getting more than 2 people reading it, and those reading it suddenly seem very interested in moving to Linux.
jezuch

Apr 18, 2008
3:05 PM EDT
I understand it like this:

One Linus Torvalds said that the point of the operating system is to be invisible. This is sooooooo different from the Microsoft's focus on brand, Windows stickers everywhere, Windows this, Windows that... When personal computing grows up and leaves this childish "zombie eaters"[1] attitude behind, everyone will use Linux, and it will at last achieve its goal: become irrelevant (invisible).

A commodity.

[1] Hah! I never though I'd use this reference.
tracyanne

Apr 19, 2008
2:00 PM EDT
Talking to a friend of mine (yes I can afford a couple) last night, he's a guitarist (blues, Jazz), but the subject stayed from music to Linux, and he he's telling me about his daughter's Windows Vista laptop, and he says to me "You know us Linux users are really spoiled, we get free stuff that the Windows users are gouged for."
gus3

Apr 19, 2008
8:09 PM EDT
Yes, our programming bugs are free (gratis).

Although, when they pay for the bugs, they get lots more of them. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!