erm...

Story: Seagate Kills Linux SupportTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
techiem2

Apr 18, 2008
11:45 AM EDT
While I don't generally read MH articles, this one interested me a tad (though as usual it doesn't say much). What gets me confused though is in the first paragraph:

Quoting:. It seems that Seagate has opted to forgo compatibility for anyone other than Linux users

Now, from my limited grasp of the English language (I was only born here and have a former English teacher for a mother...) This basically says that Seagate has made the drives compatible ONLY WITH Linux.

From google:
Quoting:Definitions of forgo on the Web:

* waive: do without or cease to hold or adhere to; "We are dispensing with formalities"; "relinquish the old ideas"

English issues aside, the issue has apparently been known for some time (like at least 4 months apparently). It relates to their USB drives. http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1005886
rijelkentaurus

Apr 18, 2008
12:21 PM EDT
And there is a workaround....
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 18, 2008
3:26 PM EDT
You noticed that too techiem2? Funny isn't it.

Workaround logic, that's what I would call it.

sorry, had to edit it
techiem2

Apr 18, 2008
3:36 PM EDT
Heh, can you imagine someone releasing hardware that works ONLY on *nix out of the box? No windows drivers available...

Sander_Marechal

Apr 19, 2008
4:01 AM EDT
@techien2: There's tons of that kind of hardware. Thing is that it's not the kind of hardware you can buy at Best Buy's or Fry's. It's custom, obscure and speciality hardware usually found in big enterprises, high tech labs and other weird and wonderful places.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!