crash and burn here

Story: Ubuntu Hardy Heron release candidate fliesTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
herzeleid

Apr 19, 2008
10:02 AM EDT
I tried the hardy heron RC with some interest on an extra laptop, a compaq presario V6000 on which my son had installed suse 10.3. No complaints, the laptop works fine, but I'm always interested in the latest and greatest.

But apparently hardy heron does not like this laptop. No matter which permutation I tried, a dialog box would pop up early on with an error saying that a partition could not be created/formatted/whatever.

Oh well, I guess it's about time to try the opensuse 11 beta - azureus tells me the torrent is almost done.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 19, 2008
11:11 AM EDT
When I installed the beta, I had to delete a partition and then re-create it. Ubuntu 8.04 would have nothing to do with my pre-existing ext3 partition. Then I had to change /etc/fstab on my other installs on the box ... and /boot/grub/menu.lst needed some work, too ... lovely. I still don't have full ACPI shutdown (had it in Ubuntu 6.06, 6.10, 7.04, but not in Xubuntu 7.04 and 7.10 ... ).
herzeleid

Apr 19, 2008
11:25 AM EDT
Ah, I'll try nuking all the partitions first, and then installing -

[edit] the install ran without incident when I started with no partitions - at first login, it recognized the broadcom wireless and required just a mouse click and a password to download the firmware and set everything up, so I can unhook the land line.

I'm liking it so far.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!