Pretty good article

Story: An Apple User Tries UbuntuTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Apr 22, 2008
5:42 AM EDT
This article was a pretty good read, except for the fact that the article as a small sliver of text between huge expanses of ads. Very annoying.

It was good to read a review of Ubuntu where the reviewer wasn't falling all over themselves with how wonderful it is and how it will feed the homeless and bring about world peace. Yes he was pleasantly surprised by it, but he was more real than most reviews of Ubuntu.
cabreh

Apr 22, 2008
5:57 AM EDT
Strange. I read the entire article and it sure sounded to me like he was in rather high praise of the whole experience. Mind you a lot of what he was looking at wasn't specifically "Ubuntu". Such as OpenOffice, Firefox and so on.

In fact the only complaint I read was about having a choice at login of what desktop manager to use. Now maybe the version he was testing had been specially modified, but I have never seen a standard install that shows that by default. You have to try to find those options on my Ubuntu systems.

And the only reason he gave for sticking with Apple was that the computers were prettier. Some reason!

Bob_Robertson

Apr 22, 2008
6:00 AM EDT
> the article as a small sliver of text between huge expanses of ads.

A Jupiter Media site, just like Linux Today. Yes, very annoying.

I use the "hosts" file from http://hostsfile.mine.nu which takes care of a tremendous quantity of advertisements and pop-ups. Unfortunately, the Jupiter Media site uses mostly in-line ads, which are not as easy to deal with as external site references.

theboomboomcars

Apr 22, 2008
6:35 AM EDT
Bob- I use the ad-block and noscript extensions with firefox, and it's a rare day that I see ads, but that was way to much. I don't mind if there are static ads along the sides, maybe 8% of screen space, but large, animated, or in text ads, I can't stand so I block them. But on this site blocking didn't help. :(
Bob_Robertson

Apr 22, 2008
6:37 AM EDT
Cabreh, I sent him a message noting how Linux will dual-boot on a Mac just fine and access his OSX partitions, so he can have his cheese-cake and eat it too.

It's very likely that the Ubuntu install had been modified, since he said it was a demonstrator. Someone could have set it up with Ubuntu, then used some of the Debian packages to make GDM have a menu at log-in for desktop type.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!