And like the OS itself....

Story: An Apple User Tries UbuntuTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
vainrveenr

Apr 22, 2008
8:38 PM EDT
Macs are definitely proliferating within IT depts.

As InfoWorld Executive Editor Galen Gruman brings within Galen's piece 'Why 'no Macs' is no longer a defensible IT strategy' :
Quoting: More users are demanding Macs in the enterprise. Thanks to key computing shifts, supporting their appetite for Apple is now a straightforward option for IT Once confined to marketing departments and media companies, the Mac is spilling over into a wider array of business environments, thanks to the confluence of a number of computing trends, not the least among them a rising tide of end-user affinity for the Apple experience.
(from http://www.infoworld.com/article/08/04/21/17FE-macs-in-busin...)

Steven_Rosenber

Apr 22, 2008
8:42 PM EDT
Macs have always networked well. In the newspaper biz, they had Macs often before they had PCs. We used to have those massive pre-PC terminals in the ol' days ... then a few Macs sprung up among them for photographers, then designers to use. Now we have a mix, but the Macs are losing out now that everything Macish runs on PC. ... but the servers run Solaris or Linux.

And I've been using Debian for just about everything on the desktop of late. I still have one SAAS app that demands IE some of the time. Gotta get WINE (or wine, for that matter).
Sander_Marechal

Apr 22, 2008
9:14 PM EDT
Steven: Try IEs4Linux. Much easier than installing IE on Wine yourself: http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/page/Main_Page
flufferbeer

Apr 23, 2008
9:37 AM EDT
Will put here again my own issue: Getting gnash to run perfectly fine through Debian-Etch for PPC on a G3 iMac. Too many issues to work through even with the new gnash beta; it still just isn't happening!

This and other Macs are here to stay, and no PPC Debian Lenny or Sid on these.

Steven_Rosenber

Apr 23, 2008
9:43 AM EDT
Quoting:Steven: Try IEs4Linux. Much easier than installing IE on Wine yourself

I've had success with IEs4Linux in Ubuntu, but I've never gotten it to work in Debian. The instructions are from the Sarge era, and they didn't do it for me when I tried it in Etch.

If I find that I really, really need it, I'll try Crossover ...
Sander_Marechal

Apr 23, 2008
12:25 PM EDT
It works fine for me in Debian, but I don't use Debian's Wine. I use the latest Wine from Wine HQ.
tuxchick

Apr 23, 2008
12:31 PM EDT
Macs have always networked well??? ROTFLMAO!! You must be new here. Maybe OS X, but not classic Mac. Don't you remember having to pay money for Thursby's Dave just to get a TCP/IP stack? Something like $50 per system just to get the same networking abilities as everyone else. AppleTalk wouldn't even admit the existence of other platforms, let alone network with them.
herzeleid

Apr 23, 2008
12:35 PM EDT
> Macs have always networked well??? ROTFLMAO!! You must be new here. Maybe OS X, but not classic Mac

I think the OP means classic macs have always networked easily with each other. Think 1985. How do you network 2 microsoft peecees? yikes, what a bother! Now, how do you network 2 macs? easy, plug the cable into both macs, and shazam! they're doing appletalk and they're networked. It was that easy.
techiem2

Apr 23, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
They network great! Just try hooking an up to date OSX machine to a non-Apple protected wireless network and you'll see!...(have they released a fix for that yet? lol)
gus3

Apr 23, 2008
8:09 PM EDT
Quoting:plug the cable into both macs, and shazam! they're doing appletalk and they're networked. It was that easy.
Unless your hardware went obsolete by a network OS upgrade. All the Macs on the local AppleTalk net had to be running the same MacOS version. If your hardware didn't have the resources to run the latest, sorry, you won't be able to talk to anyone else.

/bitter? no, not me...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!