The Sky Is Falling!!!

Story: Debian suffers from community growing painsTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

Apr 23, 2008
5:11 AM EDT
Ohs Nos!!! Debian is DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!! Did you hear me? DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!

Must be getting closer to the release date for Lenny than I thought.....
Bob_Robertson

Apr 23, 2008
8:05 AM EDT
There is a clearly documented procedure for becoming a Debian Developer.

Anyone who "wants" to be a Debian Developer but doesn't want to follow the procedure, obviously doesn't want to be a Debian Developer.

There's other ways to contribute. One can submit bug reports with patches. One can just help other users. There's Ubuntu, try knocking on their door.

Whining about it doesn't solve anything.

Yes, Lenny is getting very, very stable. I'm still waiting for nvidia-glx to be moved in (cannot image why it isn't) so I can finally finish a friends new machine, but other than that it seems to be working just fine.

*Edit* I did "reportbug nvidia-kernel-source" and found a bug marked "release critical policy violation". Oh well, good to know there is a _reason_.

Now to go look up how to import particular packages from Unstable. I've seen it, but didn't write it down.

*Edit-2* Ok, download nvidia-kernel-source, nvidia-glx and nvidia-settings from Unstable, dpkg -i the three, dselect to resolve dependencies, module assistant to build the kernel driver, edit the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to point to "nvidia" rather than "nv", and poof! it works.
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 23, 2008
9:40 AM EDT
Yep, I feel a date certain is imminent for Lenny going stable. The rate of patches has gone down a bit ... and everything is working (after tweaks to make Epiphany behave and remembering to us a kernel that supports my sound chip).
Sander_Marechal

Apr 23, 2008
12:21 PM EDT
Not imminent. Lenny is scheduled for September. However, I do have a good feeling that they will actually make that release date :-)
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 23, 2008
6:16 PM EDT
To me, anything in 2008 is "imminent."
rijelkentaurus

Apr 23, 2008
6:27 PM EDT
After waiting for Etch, anything from Debian in 2008 or 2009 is imminent. :)
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 23, 2008
7:10 PM EDT
It's working better than Etch, so that's stable enough for me.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!