Ubuntu 8.04 live CD refuses to cooperate

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 25, 2008
2:03 PM EDT
OK ... I thought it was crashing ... but the screen just STOPS MOVING for five minutes or so. It needs a message like "Ubuntu (a friendly guy/gal/entity) is examining your system ... please wait."

File the topic of this thread under "false alarm"

X is starting now ...

... it's reformatting my partition -- aside from the five-minute screen freeze, things are going smoother than when I used the 8.04 beta. When windows open, they kind of "zap" in -- that's a new one for me, and I don't know otherwise how to describe it.

... now installing.

... install done ... /etc/rc.local giving me trouble (won't run a line I need to manage the cpu fan) ... I think I've got it now (system created a backup of rc.local that's confusing the startup scripts)

... doing a suspend/resume test now. If this works ...

... it appears that suspend/resume is working. That's a first for this laptop (Gateway Solo 1450).

... OK, so it doesn't exactly resume ... and I still can't figure out why rc.local isn't doing what I want it to do ... but it's a start.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 25, 2008
4:12 PM EDT
Steve? I want you to take a deep breath..

Slow down..

Relax..

;-)
Steven_Rosenber

Apr 25, 2008
5:13 PM EDT
I had to write a script to get ACPI managing the fan. First time I had to do that. The line I had in /etc/rc.local is:

echo 3 > /proc/acpi/fan/FAN0/state

the system refused to execute it from rc.local ... so I wrote a script called "fan" (made it executable and all that) that included the very same line of code and replaced it in /etc/rc.local with:

/usr/local/bin/fan

That worked ...

Now I'm wondering why the Ubuntu repositories don't include the Childsplay game. A 4-year-old's wrath will be upon me if I don't get it on the box.

You cannot post until you login.