I don't want an LPI anymore

Story: Interview With LPI's Jim LaceyTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

May 05, 2008
2:37 PM EDT
I always wanted to get my LPI certification one day because it's distro-neutral. Until they decided in 2006 that you have to recertify regularly. I don't feel like forking money over in perpetuity just to keep the status quo.
Scott_Ruecker

May 05, 2008
3:16 PM EDT
Couldn't agree more, I don't mind re-certifying after 5 years or so. When the technology has moved on and the terms and meanings are not accurate, then its worth it. But not just to keep a testing company solvent.

herzeleid

May 05, 2008
3:26 PM EDT
I've got a bone to pick with LPI anyway - I'm 99.9% they screwed up one of my cert test results, and each effort I made to contact them about the matter has resulted in an immediate autoreply, followed by silence. Nada.

They just don't seem to take any notice of you, once they've gotten the money. There seems to be no accountability whatsoever.

So, if they've made some sort of mistake on your test results... oh well - "life sucks and then you die" eh? That seems to be the moral of the story...
Scott_Ruecker

May 05, 2008
3:50 PM EDT
herzeleid;

Your not the only person I have heard that from. CompTIA is way better than that, I've been able to get to someone with them.

herzeleid

May 05, 2008
3:59 PM EDT
@scott -

Thanks for the tip, I'll look into CompTIA

techiem2

May 05, 2008
4:59 PM EDT
*looks at his 3 CompTIA certs* hehe.
azerthoth

May 05, 2008
5:02 PM EDT
Even then, I took the 10 question sample test from CompTIA yesterday, of the 10 questions that were offered me 2 of the answers they were looking for were demonstrably incorrect.
rijelkentaurus

May 05, 2008
5:47 PM EDT
I have my CompTIA Linux+...it just fills up space on the resume, I would be more inclined to go for the RHCE...even if you don't use Red Hat, the skills are going to largely translate and it will look darn good on the resume. As it is performance based, you have to demonstrate the skills to arrive at a solution to a problem, and whether you use GUI/CLI or a combo does not matter. They don't really care how you skin the cat, just get the darned thing naked to the flesh.
thenixedreport

May 06, 2008
1:59 AM EDT
Quoting:CompTIA is way better than that, I've been able to get to someone with them.

Just don't think that an A+ certification means anything....... except that you are able to take a test.
techiem2

May 06, 2008
10:49 AM EDT
Quoting:Just don't think that an A+ certification means anything....... except that you are able to take a test.

lol. yeah, I didn't think any of them were overly difficult (A+, Net+, Linux+), but then, I took classes using the study guides for the first two, as well as lots of practice tests. I'd like to get some more advanced ones. Our students take the Security+ every term, but I think we've only had a couple actually pass it in the several terms we've done it (given, that may reflect more on the motivation - or lack thereof - of the students than the difficulty of the test).
thenixedreport

May 06, 2008
11:43 AM EDT
That and some of their material is..... *yawn* What was about to say?
Steven_Rosenber

May 06, 2008
11:45 AM EDT
I imagine that RHCE is more marketable ...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!