Cr@pware

Story: XP cheaper than Linux on new Eee PC 900Total Replies: 7
Author Content
rijelkentaurus

May 07, 2008
6:06 AM EDT
Quoting: The XP version of the Eee boots quite speedily for a Windows box

I'm sure it does, until the antivirus brings it to a screeching halt, finds some incompatibility with the filtering software, and renders the entire thing into a big paperweight. The biggest clue is "for a Windows box", which only implies that it's not a big stinky turd, it's just a little stinky turd. Poop is poop.

Ahh, Asus.....

To paraphrase Pedro Cerrano from Major League:

"F*** you, Asus, I do it myself!"

I never wanted the little thing, seemed like too much money for something that wouldn't do what I wanted it to, but people seem to be happy with it. Asus seem to have reaffirmed who their master is...how long before the Linux version is not available at all?
Scott_Ruecker

May 07, 2008
8:56 AM EDT
Quoting:how long before the Linux version is not available at all?

As soon as it loading Linux on them becomes "Financially inviable" Due to the money that MS gives them to say that.

number6x

May 07, 2008
10:00 AM EDT
The Linux version of the Eee PC sold well, better than Asus expected. Manufacturers will take note of this.

Even if MS can pressure Asus into killing the Linux version, someone else will start selling other Linux sub-notebooks. Heck Asus might even create an off shore subsidiary in mainland China that does it.

If the notebooks sold well with Linux on them, manufacturers will sell them with Linux on them.

MS will tilt at windmills, cause grief in the channel and continue to waste stockholder's money fighting against the inevitable. I keep hoping the stock holders will set things right. Maybe MS is just too closely held by employees and former employees and they are making decisions out of emotion more than wisdom.
TxtEdMacs

May 07, 2008
1:23 PM EDT
Attention venture capitalists:

Surefire returns on limited investment:

1. Design a passable usable notebook that's light weight, marginal performance with cheap components. Load the Linux desktop and begin shouting about the massive interest.

2. Be selective and build sales volume (let it be known the sales level is beyond expectations).

3. Initially be firm, but polite when MS comes calling with special deals, e.g. loading XP on your model. Say on this model it's a non-starter, but you are building a more muscular model with desired features at a higher price point. Come see us then and we will try your OS non-exclusively.

4. With expectations building and with XP as an option note that Linux will essentially be the cheaper choice by being given additional hardware at no cost.

5. Sell out to all the bribes offered, even suggest a few they haven't thought to offer. Draw the process out and appear reluctant. Then claim long term relationships with MS to seem to offer XP (or whatever MS wants on the box) at a lower price point. Announce sales volumes.

6. Sell the company, take the design and start a new company; repeat the process.

7. For the daring, when you are prepared to let the scheme go public, sell MS stock short (be very careful, you could get burned here. Assume a loss, go no deeper. Open a high percentage investment account to grow your ill gotten gains.)
number6x

May 07, 2008
1:57 PM EDT
5.5 Cancel negotiations randomly. cite rising fuel prices, credit rate instability, rising labor costs, chip manufacturer delays. Tell Microsoft "We've re-run the numbers in the light of [rising labor costs]. We cannot turn a profit with WinXP on the box, its Linux or nothing." Go back to point #5 and repeat this cycle as often as possible before moving on to point #6
tracyanne

May 07, 2008
3:59 PM EDT
Well quality is usually more expensive.
rijelkentaurus

May 08, 2008
3:28 AM EDT
True, TA. The manufacturers with the highest quality overall? IBM and Apple. Consequently, their hardware costs quite a bit more.
tracyanne

May 08, 2008
4:58 AM EDT
Quoting:Asus seem to have reaffirmed who their master is...how long before the Linux version is not available at all?

Better get the Linux version while it's still possible.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!