This surprises me.

Story: Microsoft to make Office open to ODF formatTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
DiBosco

May 21, 2008
12:53 PM EDT
I'm amazed MS are doing this. It seems to me that it's a great way for Word users to realise that when they get ODF documents from people like us and they can open them, they will start to look at where the documents have come from, which will open their eyes to Open Office and other suites.

There must be a catch!
techiem2

May 21, 2008
1:08 PM EDT
Yeah...but I guess we'll just have to wait and see what it is...incomplete support for reading and/or writing so they can claim odf is inferior to ooxml (never mind that o2k7 ooxml implementation doesn't conform to the approved standard...)? Big warnings about losing your data if you save in odf format that pop up every time you try to save to it and you can't turn them off? ???
tracyanne

May 21, 2008
1:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Big warnings about losing your data if you save in odf format that pop up every time you try to save to it and you can't turn them off?

You get big warnings about losing your data when you save to Microsoft formats from OO.o, so no one can complain about Microsoft doing the same.
number6x

May 21, 2008
1:37 PM EDT
I think the big thing to watch out for will be the 'added features' that will be available in Microsoft ODF but not in any other ODF.

You know Rock Ridge, J++, kerebos.

That kind of thing.
techiem2

May 21, 2008
1:42 PM EDT
Quoting:You get big warnings about losing your data when you save to Microsoft formats from OO.o, so no one can complain about Microsoft doing the same.

True, but there's a "Do not show this warning again" checkbox right under the warning in OO.o.

I suspect MS wouldn't do that.
Steven_Rosenber

May 21, 2008
1:46 PM EDT
But will MS Office eventually SHIP with ODF compatibility?

Answering my own question, it appears that it will: http://government.zdnet.com/?p=3832
numbers

May 21, 2008
3:24 PM EDT
Then again, maybe it's another one of their vapourware announcements. You know where they announce all the wiz-bang features of their next version of Windows/Office/Etc that will debut in five years but have most of the stuff left out by the time they force the product out the door to met some sales/marketing deadlline even if the product isn't ready. (deja vista?)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!