Why Oh Why

Story: Using Perl To Handle Mass Mailing In Linux Or UnixTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
rht

Jun 06, 2008
8:11 PM EDT
One of the great things about *nix is the dearth of bulk mail applications (not like another OS we all know). If you search for bulk or mass mail or similar at Sourceforge you will get a zillion hits for Window$ apps but none (or, maybe, one -- the obsolescent bulk_mailer) for Linux.

Sure, it is easy to mass mail from *nix, but most who do so use the announce function from mailman, or similar functionality in its alternatives. Those who need a non-mailing-list mass mailer will usually write their own -- it's not hard.

But, now that LXer has linked to this posting it will probably be picked up by others, and then it will be found by googling. Then the great unwashed will be able to use Linux for their spam. And, remember, Linux will send spam with much greater efficiency that Window$

I hope I am not being eletist but I do wish this blog had been allowed to just quietly pass by unnoticed.
eggi

Jul 16, 2008
11:14 AM EDT
Hey there,

Thanks for your comments - I always thought I had this board set up to auto-notify me if a thread was started, but I'm realizing that's not the case.

BTW, I don't allow comments on my blog, but do include my email address (eggi@comcast.net) in every script (Perhaps I should put it near the top of the page in a static element box to make it easier for folks to get in touch with me). I'm definitely interested in all feedback, as it can only make the site better. Unfortunately, even if I moderate comments, Google crawls me every day and has sent me warning about adult posts (waiting in moderation no less) on my site and I don't want them to shut me down. They are big dogs and may just be blowing steam, but I don't want to push it.

The post was meant to help folks who have a legitimate need to mass-mail (inter-company, perhaps) and the blog itself is more geared toward the admin or user who's just getting started.

BTW, if LXer doesn't notify me automatically, it may be some time until I get back around to this thread again. But, feel free to email me anytime. I welcome your input/feedback, sincerely.

Best wishes,

Mike

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!