Say what you may

Story: Microsoft Ruins "Open Source" from the InsideTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
herzeleid

Jun 18, 2008
3:34 PM EDT
but I think Roy is right on the money with this one...
azerthoth

Jun 18, 2008
4:11 PM EDT
Tying a successful development model to proprietary product does not affect a darned thing. It actually sanctifies the development model and little else. That they are using an open collaboration of source model to attach to their proprietary products can do exactly what to the GPL or other open source license?

Not a darned thing thats what. A little confusion over what open source truly means for the uninitiated, but it will bring the curiousity of what open source actually is to more people. Sure Roy and others can set up straw men and claim the sky is falling, but it's not falling on open source.
herzeleid

Jun 18, 2008
5:18 PM EDT
> Sure Roy and others can set up straw men and claim the sky is falling, but it's not falling on open source.

Never underestimate the ability of microsoft to make trouble...
gus3

Jun 18, 2008
8:00 PM EDT
I guessed, a year and a half before the connection was shown publicly, that Microsoft was behind the SCO fiasco.

This is significant because it was an intuitive observation, and my intuition isn't worth diddly. I usually ignore it, unless it's jumping up and down and screaming at me.

I'm with herzeleid on this one: Never underestimate the ability of Microsoft to make trouble.
tracyanne

Jun 19, 2008
5:07 PM EDT
Quoting:Never underestimate the ability of microsoft to make trouble...

Also remember the human mind has evolved to see patterns, unfortunately there is sometimes no correlation between the pattern we perceive and reality.
Bob_Robertson

Jun 20, 2008
9:26 AM EDT
> there is sometimes no correlation between the pattern we perceive and reality.

Indeed.

To counter that in terms of Microsoft, we have the patterns of the Halloween Documents and the ISO debacle.

This "invade and corrupt" mode fits the recommendations in the H.D.s perfectly.

Or, in words from another system of thought, "Once is an accident, twice is coincidence, thrice is enemy action."

The human mind's ability to see patterns where there are none as relates to religion, I'll leave for another time. And place. :^)
rgviza

Jun 20, 2008
12:59 PM EDT
@gus3 "The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a faithful servant.

We have created a society that honors the servant and has forgotten the gift."

-Albert Einstein

Pretty much every invention, creation, or discovery came about because of intuition. Never ignore it. It's how I become a better programmer almost every day.

-Viz
gus3

Jun 20, 2008
8:13 PM EDT
@viz:

http://gus3.typepad.com/i_am_therefore_i_think/2008/05/the-i...

I have solved the ice cream koan. (Yes, it's a bad pun, but it's still a koan.)
herzeleid

Jun 22, 2008
12:02 PM EDT
Nice blog gus3 - who knew?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!