Sorry about the hiccups

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 22, 2008
1:44 PM EDT
I want to apologize to everyone for all the little hiccups on LXer this week. We moved over to new server hardware and we have had a few 'hiccups' in things like, logging in, the site being down, not being able to post comments or stories..you know, little stuff. LOL!

If you have seen anything acting funky or have had an issue that came up this week and has not resolved itself, please let me know. We will do our best to resolve it.

Again I want to apologize to you all and thank you for your patience this past week.

Scott
techiem2

Jun 22, 2008
1:58 PM EDT
I thought maybe the readership had just doubled or something and was overloading the server.... hehehe
gus3

Jun 22, 2008
5:49 PM EDT
Well, he didn't want to brag too early...
tracyanne

Jun 22, 2008
6:59 PM EDT
Being told I didn't have "this thing called cookies" enabled, and then having it explained to me how to do so, and for every browser, except the one I'm using, was a tiny bit annoying.
jdixon

Jun 22, 2008
7:11 PM EDT
> Being told I didn't have "this thing called cookies" enabled...

I never got that, but there were a number of times I couldn't get to the site at all.
thenixedreport

Jun 22, 2008
8:19 PM EDT
Quoting:Well, he didn't want to brag too early...

:)
Scott_Ruecker

Jun 22, 2008
9:39 PM EDT
Quoting:Well, he didn't want to brag too early...

Our readership (registered users), general site traffic and our reach (the number of different sites linking to us and/or our RSS feed) continues to grow steadily. There has been a measurable increase in the number of LXer.com web pages being accessed at any one time and the amount of time people are spending on LXer.com has gone up too.

This move to newer hardware will enable us to handle the heavy traffic spikes we get along with our continued growth well into the future. I'm sure its still possible to overload our new server, anything is possible. Besides, the overloading of servers because of traffic spikes and an overall increase in site traffic is a wonderful problem to have is it not?

So to be clear, I am not bragging...much. ;-)

gus3

Jun 22, 2008
9:57 PM EDT
I suggest an AMD64-X2 with 2 drives on SATA using XFS with noop or deadline scheduling...

But that's just me.

(Details to follow soon.)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!