What I am quite impressed with is

Story: Eclipse Ganymede at a glanceTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
tracyanne

Jun 23, 2008
1:07 PM EDT
ActiveState's Komodo Editor. I's based on the Mozilla codebase, and unlike Eclipse, which is convoluted and obscure, is quite straightforward to use, I've been editing javascript and learning python with it.
Sander_Marechal

Jun 23, 2008
3:17 PM EDT
Too bad Komodo IDE is non-free. $295 a pop.
tracyanne

Jun 23, 2008
5:18 PM EDT
I don't really have a problem with that. On the other hand I've tried the trial version of Komodo IDE and I can't see that it gives me anything I don't already have in KomodoEdit.
rijelkentaurus

Jun 23, 2008
6:19 PM EDT
Quoting: Too bad Komodo IDE is non-free.

This is one case where it doesn't matter that it's not Free, because it doesn't try to own your code and make it impossible to work with it outside the program. I have no problem with paying for convenience, so long as what is rightfully mine stays mine. (I think I am right on it not locking your code within its walls, correct me if I am wrong.)
thenixedreport

Jun 24, 2008
12:31 AM EDT
Has anybody heard of Gambas by any chance?
pat

Jun 24, 2008
2:42 AM EDT
Yep, Gambas is nice, as is Eclipse.
tracyanne

Jun 24, 2008
3:14 AM EDT
Yes Gambas is very nice.
hchaudh1

Jun 24, 2008
6:56 AM EDT
Oh so, suddenly we don't have a problem with non-free software on a Linux website? I suppose Komodo would only be better if it was written in Mono. Sheesh.... This is why we can't have nice thing`s. Here's a piece of software that is pretty much THE defacto IDE in the enterprise, its open source and all that, and now, we got IDE elitists....

@rijelkentaurus Locking your code. Really? Yes it has Eclipse specific files to help out with IDE functions. But you know, its not really locked if you have the key. Try exporting your code. You will be pleasantly surprised.

You know what is better than Komodo or Gambas.... Visual Studio.
thenixedreport

Jun 24, 2008
8:10 AM EDT
@hchaudh1

Gambas isn't non-free dude. Have you taken a look at their sourceforge page?

http://gambas.sourceforge.net/

Enough said.
hchaudh1

Jun 24, 2008
8:50 AM EDT
I did look at the Gambas Sourceforge page. I wasn't implying Gambas is non-free. I only mentioned Gambas in the context that Visual Studio is be better.
dumper4311

Jun 24, 2008
11:49 AM EDT
>"suddenly we don't have a problem with non-free software on a Linux website?"

Look out, the world is coming to an end!!!!

Unclench a bit, hchaudh1, it's ok. "Free" or non free isn't the issue.

Does it do the job? Do you still own your data? Those are the only questions that really matter.
jdixon

Jun 24, 2008
11:54 AM EDT
> Oh so, suddenly we don't have a problem with non-free software on a Linux website?

A good number of us have never had a problem with it. :)

Most of us prefer using free software, but if non-free software meets a need that free software doesn't, I at least have no problem with people using it.
tracyanne

Jun 24, 2008
12:54 PM EDT
Quoting:Oh so, suddenly we don't have a problem with non-free software on a Linux website?

Komodo IDE costs money, it's built on an MPL code base.

Do you have a problem with the idea of paying for things, or must everything you use be Gratis?

Komodo Edit is Gratis, so use that.

Additionally, I don't give a rats how Free Eclipse is, it's a painfully obscure and difficult to use piece of puss, as far as I am concerned. I won't it use even though it is both Free and Gratis.
rijelkentaurus

Jun 24, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
Quoting: Does it do the job? Do you still own your data? Those are the only questions that really matter.

As was my point, particularly about owning the data. Even an MS product isn't bad if you still own the data, although only Notepad and Wordpad spring to mind with regards to that company, LOL.
tracyanne

Jun 24, 2008
1:56 PM EDT
Quoting:Oh so, suddenly we don't have a problem with non-free software on a Linux website? I suppose Komodo would only be better if it was written in Mono.

BTW Mono is Free (LGPL license) Software, it's also Gratis.
thenixedreport

Jun 25, 2008
3:10 PM EDT
The reason why I've been keeping an eye on Gambas lately is due to one neat feature: being able to potentially package your product for multiple distros. That is awesome!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!