Happy 4th to you too

Story: Happy 4th of July!Total Replies: 33
Author Content
azerthoth

Jul 04, 2008
10:38 AM EDT
Thanks TA, it is nice when others remember.

To the everyone, happy 4th, now to go celebrate in grand American fashion and go blow stuff up.
tuxchick

Jul 04, 2008
11:01 AM EDT
Thanks TA, I shall ignite something flammable and showy in your honor!
jdixon

Jul 04, 2008
11:09 AM EDT
It's pouring rain down here, so probably no fireworks tonight unless we go into town and watch the commercial variety. :(
zenarcher

Jul 04, 2008
11:26 AM EDT
Too hot and dry here, as well. That, along with my trying to set an example that Americans don't all want to blow something up.;). I'll just draw on the years of culture I picked up living in Rhodesia and save the incendiaries for Guy Fawkes Day!
jdixon

Jul 04, 2008
11:59 AM EDT
> ...that Americans don't all want to blow something up.;)

Speak for yourself. :) Pretty much everyone I know likes blowing things up.
tuxchick

Jul 04, 2008
12:22 PM EDT
Out here in the sticks you can buy mass quantities of fertilizer and diesel, and no one thinks you're a terrorist. Just a rancher who has a legitimate reason to make big booms :D
Scott_Ruecker

Jul 04, 2008
12:29 PM EDT
Big Booms are favorite..I like it when the whole audience jumps..

BOOM!
zenarcher

Jul 04, 2008
12:41 PM EDT
jdixon, I was speaking for myself. When you've lived where things going "boom," is an ominous sign, you tend to be a bit skittish.
jezuch

Jul 04, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
Quoting:it is nice when others remember.

Let's see how true is that on 11th of November ;)
azerthoth

Jul 04, 2008
1:55 PM EDT
That one actually is easier for other nations to remember. Originally Armistice Day to celebrate the end of WWI, only later was the name changed in the US to Veterans Day. Armistice Day is still celebrated under various names.
techiem2

Jul 04, 2008
3:04 PM EDT
Well, I celebrated in the traditional American fashions of eating (Dad grilled up filet mignon in bacon), playing games with the family, and spending money (just ordered my Freerunner!). :)
jdixon

Jul 04, 2008
3:41 PM EDT
> I was speaking for myself.

Oh, I knew that zenarcher. That's why I included the smiley. I didn't want you to take it seriously.
helios

Jul 04, 2008
3:45 PM EDT
Having spent my first career as a Combat Engineer, I was extensively trained and even encouraged to blow things up. In fact, I was known as something of a C-4 artiste. I blew the side of a rebar reinforced building out once and placed the charges so as not to cut the steel in strategic places. When you looked at the detonation site you could clearly see the uncut steel spell the name "Kilroy. The "y" was a bit short on the bottom shank so one might mistake it for a "v" but in context with the other letters it was clear what it spelled.

Very few of you will get that...a loud and proud Huu---raaaaa to those that do. You are truly old school grunts. Brown Boot variety as it were

h
jdixon

Jul 04, 2008
3:52 PM EDT
> You are truly old school grunts. Brown Boot variety as it were

Not me, but I do know about the "Kilroy was here" tradition.
gus3

Jul 04, 2008
6:40 PM EDT
@jezuch:

I thought it was the 5th of November?

@helios:

I hope you have some photos of that somewhere.
jezuch

Jul 05, 2008
4:03 AM EDT
Quoting:I thought it was the 5th of November?

Um, what happened on 5th of November? :)

Quoting:Armistice Day

Ah yes, that's indeed how it's recognized worldwide, but in Poland it's known as Independence Day and is a national holiday, but without blowing things up ;)
gus3

Jul 05, 2008
7:14 AM EDT
"Remember, remember, the fifth of November, The gunpowder treason and plot..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes
Bob_Robertson

Jul 05, 2008
10:37 AM EDT
> and is a national holiday, but without blowing things up ;)

Bummer! Firing the Anvil is great fun!

But seriously, the 2nd of July (ratification, rather than signing) is one of the few holidays I celebrate. Great document, the Declaration of Independence, applicable to everyone.

Bummer about the counter-revolution, though. At least there was near freedom for 13 years.

I recommend December 15th, too. The date the Bill of Rights was ratified.

And April 19th. Lexington and Concord. And Warsaw Ghetto, and Mt. Carmel.
happyfeet

Jul 08, 2008
6:49 AM EDT
@techiem2:

Quoting: filet mignon in bacon

mmmm - filet mignon .....
number6x

Jul 08, 2008
7:15 AM EDT
I did various cookout things with the family for three days.

Best of all I didn't check the blackberry once over the whole weekend. When I got in to work Monday morning there had been no production issues whatsoever.

That was a taste of freedom. A three day weekend where the management didn't think it would be a good time to do a major Software /Hardware upgrade.
tracyanne

Jul 08, 2008
1:13 PM EDT
The Storm Worm hackers celebrated the 4th of July by infecting yet more Windows computers, and creating even more bot nets. http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=1440&tag=nl.e550
happyfeet

Jul 08, 2008
1:44 PM EDT
I'd rather have filet mignon than worms....
tracyanne

Jul 08, 2008
4:03 PM EDT
That's why I use Linux, it's safer, and I have more disposable income after expenses.
techiem2

Jul 08, 2008
8:10 PM EDT
No kiddin tracyanne. Less money spent securing/repairing/re-buying cuz wga broke Windows = more money for hardware.

jezuch

Jul 08, 2008
9:18 PM EDT
Quoting:= more money for hardware

Which, frankly, with Linux is not necessary ;)

Yeah, yeah, I know "I don't need more hardware" is a geek heresy.
gus3

Jul 08, 2008
9:41 PM EDT
@jezuch:

Your geek cred is hereby invalidated. Please report immediately to surrender your badge.
thenixedreport

Jul 09, 2008
12:05 AM EDT
Mt. Carmel?

You're not referring to the BATF screw-up outside of Waco are you?
Bob_Robertson

Jul 09, 2008
3:34 AM EDT
> Mt. Carmel? BATF screw-up?

Indeed I am. April 19th has been an interesting day.

It was onlythe BATFE at the time of the initial assault. Once that attempted media event had completely messed it's own pants, the FBI came in with its HuRT team and a couple of military units, who completed the disaster.

Suggested viewing: _Waco: Rules Of Engagement_ and its sequel.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Linux discussion.
jezuch

Jul 09, 2008
12:06 PM EDT
@gus3:

Oh drats ;)
jdixon

Jul 09, 2008
12:57 PM EDT
> Please report immediately to surrender your badge.

Badge? You all got badges?? Why does no one tell me these things???
Bob_Robertson

Jul 09, 2008
1:17 PM EDT
We don't need to steeeenking badges....
azerthoth

Jul 09, 2008
2:39 PM EDT
badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger, mushroom mushroom
tuxchick

Jul 09, 2008
4:29 PM EDT
OK azerthoth, now that you've lodged that in my mind, you're paying for the de-programming!
azerthoth

Jul 09, 2008
5:56 PM EDT
Have them call me with the bill, you know :

ring ring ring ring ring ring banana phone

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!