Oh no!

Story: In memoriam: Linux evangelist and Linux.com editor Joe BarrTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
thenixedreport

Jul 11, 2008
12:43 PM EDT
:(
Sander_Marechal

Jul 11, 2008
1:02 PM EDT
My sincere condolences to his family and friends :-(
helios

Jul 11, 2008
1:34 PM EDT
I know the family is grieving but as soon as I get back from LIN08, I will make it a point to get there and offer condolences on behalf of the community.

He lived just a few miles from me. email me personally with anything you wan to pass on while I am there.

I would like a site built in his honor. Who is going to help me. He gave much here...he deserves a prominent stone in the wall.
thenixedreport

Jul 11, 2008
8:20 PM EDT
Hmmm..... How do you wanna build it helios? I can do web pages through KompoZer, CMS through e107, blog-style through WordPress and Blogger, etc.... :)
dinotrac

Jul 12, 2008
2:23 AM EDT
Duck Joe, because they really are out to get you, and I can't believe they're going to stop just because you've moved along to better digs.

I hate this. Now and then I'll see a notice that somebody I knew only through the internet has died. That's bad enough. But I got the chance to press flesh and bend elbows with Papa Joe, and that's a whole lot worse.

I had the privilege of meeting flesh-and-blood Joe a couple of times, introduced by my friend and ex-LT editor Paul Ferris at Linuxworld.

Kind of looked the way he wrote - Texas direct, hard-hitting, and quick to smile. Tough old coot.

And always involved.

I once had the privilege of doing a tiny favor for him. He was pounding the war drums over some Microsoft hanky and panky WRT software contracts in Austin. He asked if might write one of "my articles", the silly little things I used to do. I was honored that he asked. It's about as close as I've ever come to being commissioned to do something - and by a Linux writer I read and respected, no less. Joe thanked me and said he liked it, but he would have done that if I wrote a hundred lines of "All work and no play...". If you're interested, you can find it at:

http://www.varlinux.org/vl/html/modules/stories/article.php?...

The free software world is a little poorer today.

PS: Joe - I have it on good authority that Toadie is wiping back a tear and raising a glass. Says you were a hundred times more fun than anybody at RedmondWare.

jdixon

Jul 12, 2008
10:18 AM EDT
> He lived just a few miles from me. email me personally with anything you wan to pass on while I am there.

Just tell them we'll all miss him, Ken.

> The free software world is a little poorer today.

That it is.
herzeleid

Jul 12, 2008
10:41 AM EDT
Joe, I never knew ye - but from everything I've heard, you were a decent sort.

Rest in peace.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!