I am happy I chose software RAID

Story: Benchmarking hardware RAID vs. Linux kernel software RAIDTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Jul 15, 2008
11:01 PM EDT
Remember about a half a year ago when I was contemplating between hardware RAID and software RAID? I am so happy with my software RAID now. I decided to kick out my ProLiant server because it eats almost 2500 KWh per year. I've set my eye on a small and cheap Dell T105. Only problem: No PCI-X slot so I can't put my 3ware card in it. Whatever would I have done if I had chosen for hardware RAID. Now I can simply move the disks to the new server (when it arrives) and count on mdadm to keep my array going :-)

Software RAID has significant advantages over hardware RAID. The article only talks about performance and whether it justifies the cost of a hardware RAID card. You should not be looking just at the cost of the card but also about the cost of any future upgrades. If I had used hardware RAID it would have cost me $500 more to get a new server (either to get an expensive 3ware card that runs PCIe, or to get a more expensive T300 server that does have a PCI-X slot).
techiem2

Jul 16, 2008
9:32 AM EDT
Yeah, I use software raid on my fileserver (can't afford one of them fancy high end raid controllers anyway). I also have an "old" Dell Poweredge 2500c I'm setting up for the church here that I switched over from hardware raid to software raid. While hardware raid is probably faster and such, it's just not as flexible. Maybe it's different with the $$$$$ controllers, but the raid on the Poweredge will only let you raid full disks. I love software raid because I can raid pretty much anything I want in any way I want, like using a partition on a disk for part of an array, while leaving the rest of the disk for other use (I do this on my fileserver).

For example on my fileserver I have:
Quoting:

cthulhu ~ # mdadm --detail /dev/md0 /dev/md0: Version : 00.90.03 Creation Time : Fri Feb 8 20:00:17 2008 Raid Level : raid1 Array Size : 78148096 (74.53 GiB 80.02 GB) Used Dev Size : 78148096 (74.53 GiB 80.02 GB) Raid Devices : 2 Total Devices : 2 Preferred Minor : 0 Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Wed Jul 16 13:15:12 2008 State : clean Active Devices : 2 Working Devices : 2 Failed Devices : 0 Spare Devices : 0

UUID : a1fc0d8b:f8e3241e:e78c31d9:d2cca1bc Events : 0.24

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State 0 8 1 0 active sync /dev/sda1 1 8 33 1 active sync /dev/sdc1

Standard mirror of 2 80GB disks.

And also
Quoting: cthulhu ~ # mdadm --detail /dev/md1 /dev/md1: Version : 00.90.03 Creation Time : Sat Feb 9 14:39:44 2008 Raid Level : raid0 Array Size : 40087296 (38.23 GiB 41.05 GB) Raid Devices : 2 Total Devices : 2 Preferred Minor : 1 Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Wed Jul 16 13:13:06 2008 State : active Active Devices : 2 Working Devices : 2 Failed Devices : 0 Spare Devices : 0

Chunk Size : 64K

UUID : 10a51a9f:e8e3a488:0d5066c6:b7f82744 Events : 0.3

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State 0 8 17 0 active sync /dev/sdb1 1 8 49 1 active sync /dev/sdd1

Striping of 2 disk partitions.

/dev/sdb is actually a 30GB disk, but I'm using 20GB for this array and the other 10GB as a separate partition.

And yes, I know that I could have just raided the complete disks together and then partitioned the md into 2 parts, but I didn't know that at the time, and this demonstrates the flexibility of software raid anyway.

And all of this is done with parts I have been given/have salvaged over the years (the server itself is an old Celeron 766 at the moment), except for the Promise Ultra133-TX2 controller for the raid disks and the Netgear Gigabit NIC (which will be replaced soon with an Intel Pro 1000 when I get around to swapping stuff out around the lan).
Sander_Marechal

Jul 16, 2008
2:15 PM EDT
Quoting:Maybe it's different with the $$$$$ controllers, but the raid on the Poweredge will only let you raid full disks.

Even my high-end expensive 3ware only RAIDs full disks. This can be a problem when you loose a disk and don't have a spare one of the exact same brand and model. If you use a different one, the number of blocks may be slightly different. Not a problem if the new disk is a few blocks larger, but if it's a few blocks smaller you're looking at shrinking and rebuilding your entire RAID array. That's one of the main reasons I went with software RAID back then. I don't have the money to buy more identical disks and keep them around as spares "just in case".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!