Oops! We couldn’t find that page.

Story: New Search Engine Cuil "analyzes the Web, not its users"Total Replies: 8
Author Content
tracyanne

Jul 28, 2008
4:36 AM EDT

Please verify that the URL is correct and try again.
tracyanne

Jul 28, 2008
4:37 AM EDT
And then it worked.
zenarcher

Jul 28, 2008
4:51 AM EDT
I like their privacy policy....Added to my Firefox Search Bar.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 28, 2008
4:52 AM EDT
I really like the drilldown box you get on the right side next to search results. It makes it very easy to search for something specific that you don't know how to search for. Just type in one or two keywords and start drilling down.
jdixon

Jul 28, 2008
5:14 AM EDT
Hmm:

We’ll be back soon...

Due to overwhelming interest, our Cuil servers are running a bit hot right now. The search engine is momentarily unavailable as we add more capacity.

Thanks for your patience.

Looks like their servers aren't up to being LXer'ed.
Sander_Marechal

Jul 28, 2008
5:33 AM EDT
LXer'ed, Groklaw'ed, Slashdotted, TechCrunshed, BBC'ed. Cuil seems to be attracting a lot of attention in a very short time.

Little detail: I read that the Cuil founders are ex-Google.
zenarcher

Jul 28, 2008
5:41 AM EDT
CNN News also has a big story on Cull this morning....... http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/28/technology/cuil.ap/index.htm...
Sander_Marechal

Jul 28, 2008
6:06 AM EDT
Cuil really should have updated it's press release though. They claim that with 120 billion pages indexed, they are bigger than google. Google hasn't published it's size in a few years now. Last know figure: 8.4 billion. Until last friday that is... Google published some gib news that they crossed the 1 trillion mark. So, Cuil has some catching up to do :-)

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_hits_one_trillio...
TxtEdMacs

Jul 28, 2008
8:21 AM EDT
Quoting: ... Cuil has some catching up to do

From my minimal testing, I would say you excel at the art of understatement. Most results were dead wrong and it went down hill from there. I will wait a few weeks to see if the gross errors I saw were problems induced by limited capacity causing unexpected errors. I noted too subsequent pages were gibberish. I hit one link and an email form came up.

With this great outpouring of unjustified, premature interest this group has a limited time to recover. I wish them luck, because Google deserves a legitimate competition*. We do need an alternative to some of the bad trends in Google's evolution.

* I cannot believe any combination of Yahoo, MS and AOL could even come close.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!