Micr$soft counts a sale for Vista, even though ......

Story: 60 percent skipping Vista, so Ballmer looks to AppleTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
henke54

Jul 28, 2008
6:07 AM EDT
Quoting:HP's revelation, made at the launch of a new range of business notebooks, flies in the face of Microsoft's persistent PR claims that Vista has sold tens of millions of copies — and is selling at a faster rate than XP ever did.

However, HP explained how Microsoft is coming up with these "Vista" sales figures.

"From the 30th of June, we have no longer been able to ship a PC with a XP licence," said Jane Bradburn, Market Development Manager, Commercial Notebooks for HP Australia.

"However, what we have been able to do with Microsoft is ship PCs with a Vista Business licence but with XP pre-loaded. That is still the majority of business computers we are selling today."

So, in other words, Microsoft counts a sale for Vista, even though the computer manufacturer has really sold XP.
http://apcmag.com/xp_still_killing_vista_in_sales_volume_hp....
Sander_Marechal

Jul 28, 2008
6:21 AM EDT
Nasty, but nothing new. This has been rumored for quite some time now and MS has acknowledged that it's possible/legal to do this. However, now that HP confirms it's doing this on a massive scale I wonder if MS shareholders or maybe even the SEC will start making noise. After all, MS has been boasting these incredible sales numbers for Vista and the financial predictions and expectations presented my MS are based off this. Misrepresentation? Shareholder suits? Who knows. I hope so actually.

Let's bring popcorn and see what happens :-)
bigg

Jul 28, 2008
7:11 AM EDT
I was surprised to go into WalMart last weekend and see a bunch of systems from various vendors on the shelves (Compaq, Emachines, Dell) and all but one offered XP, not Vista. This in spite of the fact that XP is supposedly gone.
rijelkentaurus

Jul 28, 2008
7:25 AM EDT
You know Vistar is bad when it makes XP look good, LOL! And I'll take some of that popcorn, hopefully we'll see someone's head on the chop. :)
henke54

Jul 29, 2008
6:07 AM EDT
Quoting:It’s worth remembering, though, that retailers aren’t officially allowed to charge for copies of XP any more; instead, for each of these ‘loophole’ sales, the seller has to pay the relevant license fee for Vista to Microsoft. So while it’s misleading to suggest 180 million people have intentionally gone out and bought a copy of Vista to run, Microsoft is still getting the cash in its pocket.
http://vista.blorge.com/2008/07/29/hp-challenges-vista-sales...
hkwint

Jul 29, 2008
8:26 AM EDT
OK, so they count WinXP sales as Vista sales. But looking at it from a different angle, they are selling XP - because that's what the consumer asks for and that's what he gets - but the consumer also gets Vista. So it sounds like Vista is 'bundled' with XP these days to me. Then, here's my question:

How is it that Microsoft is not allowed to tie IE or WMP to XP but it is allowed to tie Vista to XP? Or is it because the formal sale (Vista + free XP) is different from the real-world sale (XP + free Vista) that it is allowed?

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!