Not worth the effort.

Story: Why would anyone choose Linux when they already have Windows?Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Bob_Robertson

Aug 21, 2008
3:34 PM EDT
Sure, some of the comments are interesting, but the article itself is pointless.

The author first goes into why it'spointless to contradict him, then pretends to be open minded by saying "So, convince me."

Like a fundamentalist crashing an agnostics party, just to show how wrong they are.

(fundamentalist about what, agnostic of what, who cares?)
tuxchick

Aug 21, 2008
4:49 PM EDT
This is a pointless article. Sigh. Oh well, it was a quick calorie-free read, just long enough for a trip to the loo.
hkwint

Aug 21, 2008
6:50 PM EDT
I found it worth the effort, only to find the bull. Easy, here it is:

Quoting:An operating system exists only to create an environment for applications

He means: My operating system exists only as an environment for my applications. That's the flaw in his logic; most people don't care about apps but just have work to do. Windows isn't the most suited platform when you have a job to do.
dumper4311

Aug 21, 2008
6:56 PM EDT
Depends on the type of job you have to do.

Exchanging quickbooks data with your accountant is one example of where application matters, just because we have such poor interoperability there so far. And in this case OS does matter, as quickbooks isn't supported well on Linux yet.

I haven't read the article, but I'm sure I'll get more out of this discussion than I would have there.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!