The top end model with Windows is $15 cheaper.

Story: Dude, I'm Wantin' a DellTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
jdixon

Sep 06, 2008
10:35 AM EDT
Top end Ubuntu model with Bluetooth and white case: $519.

Top end Windows model with Bluetooth and white case: $504. :(

I don't need either Bluetooth or the white case, so I can save $45, but the difference remains. To be fair, Dell is offering a $40 off the Windows versions, so without the discount, the Windows model is actually $25 more, but you'd think they would offer it across the entire line. The low end Windows model doesn't allow for a 4 GB drive or removing the camera, so it starts out costing more than the low end Ubuntu model, which has the 4 GB hard drive and no camera.
DiBosco

Sep 06, 2008
10:51 AM EDT
At least you can buy the Linux version in the States, the UK website only lists the Windows version. The Windows version being cheaper seems to be the same with other Linux Dell machines.
dinotrac

Sep 06, 2008
11:08 AM EDT
DiBosco --

Yup.

I don't know why so many people assume that a Linux box must be cheaper, or more than a little cheaper than a Windows box.
gus3

Sep 06, 2008
12:26 PM EDT
Quoting:To be fair, Dell is offering a $40 off the Windows versions, so without the discount, the Windows model is actually $25 more
Nope. A markup, for the purpose of creating an advertise-able discount ("Now 25% off!"), while technically illegal, can be very difficult to prove in court.

The sniff test says that's what's going on here.
jdixon

Sep 06, 2008
4:18 PM EDT
> I don't know why so many people assume that a Linux box must be cheaper, or more than a little cheaper than a Windows box.

Because Microsoft charges for Windows and Canonical doesn't charge for Ubuntu. The fact that there's more involved than that is lost on most people. All they care about is that a product they can download for free costs them money when they get it from Dell. And to be fair, that's as it should be; the intricacies of Dell's business model are of no concern to the buyer.
jdixon

Sep 06, 2008
4:19 PM EDT
> The sniff test says that's what's going on here.

Probably, but as you said, almost impossible to prove. We'll see if the price difference holds up or not.
tracyanne

Sep 06, 2008
6:31 PM EDT
I won't touch Dell, I won't even try to buy anything from Dell, not any more.

This last week I got on to Dell, through their small business area. I had been told (by another Dell Salesperson from the consumer area) that the Precision M4300 could be bought with Linux or no OS, even here in Australia. I was told the price for the basic version with Windows was $AU2420.00. When I enquired the salesperson I got, a very pleasant indian gentleman immediately attempted to upsell me. I stood firm and told him I wanted the M4300, because I knew that it was available with Linux or no OS. We settled down to dickering. He wanted to know my requirements, I told him I wanted to know how much the basic version would cost without Windows, he seemd reluctant to give me that price (I'm assuming that Dell have given instructions that price comparison between Windows and non Windows OSs are not recommended, but after insisting, I finally got the price $2333.00, I now had my base price.

So we got down to looking at what extras I wanted. He continually asked me if I wanted various windows oriented software, like MS Word and Anti virus, he just didn't seem to get it. Anyway we got to a hardware configuration I liked 2 Gig Ram 160 Gig Harddrive (thrown in as a free upgrade)15.4 inch WSXGA 1680 by 1050 monitor and T7250 CPU. I then told him that I could get a similarly speced machine from the US for less than $2000.00 landed, which is true, and questioned if he could meet that price, we had some more tooing and froing on extras, like we could bundle MS office and Anti virus and a case for free etc. I of course said that I wouldn't touch MS office even if I had a gun to my head, and I didn't need it or AV anyway,

So eventually he comes back to me and says that there's a 30% discount just come available today (last Wednesday) and I could get the whole package for $AU1578.38 (with GST that's $AU1736.22, with shipping still less than $AU2000.00). Great I said, I'll contact my accountant (yes for real, my partner) and get the funds approved, call me back in half an hour.

It's now 4 days two phone calls with messages and an email later, and I have still not heard from the bloke. It seems Dell are not too keen to sell me a computer sans MS Windows after all.

So Dell can stick their computers where the monkey stuck his nuts.
techiem2

Sep 06, 2008
6:49 PM EDT
LOL TA. That seems to be the general state of their reps these days. My colleague at the college went through almost the same things when trying to get quotes for Student Laptops in the last term or so (we're talking @15 machines or so). You call them, they never call back, even when given a deadline. Oddly enough, they called back quite quickly when we left a message saying "call back by X or we'll just have to go with HP instead."

But yeah, sounds like they really need to improve their salesperson training... And of course, pushing Windows when you specifically don't want it...talk about clueless reps (or um...very well "trained" to sell you the "best" ?).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!