heh

Story: ONE reason why OS X is better than Vista and LinuxTotal Replies: 11
Author Content
techiem2

Sep 10, 2008
12:22 PM EDT
Quoting:Now there are no doubt many people jumping up and down at this point waving the red card at me and saying that Linux is just as secure, just as capable of beating Vista on the security argument. Well, yes, maybe. But the point being that Apple just provides the secure environment to work in, whereas Linux demands a certain amount of work on behalf of the user to get it and leaves the novice potentially exposed to danger.

Really? That's odd because I've never had to do anything in a typical Linux setup to make it secure.....

Other than that his entry in the contest isn't that bad.
jdixon

Sep 10, 2008
12:37 PM EDT
> That's odd because I've never had to do anything in a typical Linux setup to make it secure.....

Yeah, I was thinking that. I have no idea what he's talking about there.

Of course, all that Apple "usability" comes with a very high price tag, which not everyone can afford.
techiem2

Sep 10, 2008
12:44 PM EDT
The only thing I can think of is that he's referring to Ubuntu and similar distros that give the default user full root access by default with sudo....
rijelkentaurus

Sep 10, 2008
12:50 PM EDT
Or he's talking about Freespire. And doesn't OS X do the same thing as Ubuntu?

My big complaint is that this isn't (sorry!) apples to apples...let's compare the immediate usability of a Mac vs. a PC from System76 or someone else who preinstalls the stuff...or, let's give a person a Linux CD and an OS X CD and let them do a fresh install on new hardware.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 10, 2008
12:52 PM EDT
And here I thought he was just F.O.S..

LOL!
rijelkentaurus

Sep 10, 2008
1:03 PM EDT
HAHA, looks like the rest of us were overthinking this, Scott!
tracyanne

Sep 10, 2008
9:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Of course, all that Apple "usability" comes with a very high price tag

How apt, Apple usability is myth
dumper4311

Sep 11, 2008
11:03 AM EDT
>"Apple usability is myth"

Perception sells, and people will apparently pay a high price to maintain that illusion.
tuxchick

Sep 11, 2008
11:31 AM EDT
Perception is very important. Microsoft treats you like a criminal. Apple makes you feel cool and hip. Such non-technical messages are more important than the technology.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 11, 2008
12:12 PM EDT
Good point Carla, and very very true. My issue is that for the cost of one of Apple's Macbooks, I could buy most of the computer equipment I own.

Its the cost of joining the 'Apple Club' that grinds on me. I have met too many people that look down their noses at all the 'unwashed masses' that just don't have the money to be as cool as they are. So in response, I look down my nose back at them. When a Mac person starts bragging about their machine, I brag about how I didn't have to spend a King's ransom to get something that is better than they will ever have.

Thank You for letting me vent. ;-)

azerthoth

Sep 11, 2008
12:33 PM EDT
I just ask them why they let themselves get ripped off? Off the shelf hardware that is the same as used in windows boxes, running BSD which in laymans terms is UNIX. Usually shuts them down.
techiem2

Sep 11, 2008
2:29 PM EDT
Yeah, I think part of the problem is that most people still don't realize that Macs are using the same hardware as everything else uses now. They just charge twice as much for it.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!