Scripting deletion and creation of partitions

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
techiem2

Sep 19, 2008
1:21 PM EDT
Hey all. I'm working on creating a custom restore dvd set for our faculty laptops and want to make things easier on the user. Our original setup had 2 partitons on the disk, but the current load only uses one. So I'd like to have the disk automatically delete the partitions and create a single ntfs flagged partition using the full disk before running partimage. I assume this is possible using some cli commands with fdisk, parted, or some such. I just don't know how.

Any of you gurus have any experience with this?

Thanks all!

Mark II
gus3

Sep 19, 2008
1:52 PM EDT
If you can guarantee that all drives have identical geometry and partition layout, it's easy enough to pipe input to fdisk. I have used this technique myself.

Then again, in your case it might be a brute-force solution to delete all partitions, from 8 to 1 (whether they exist or not), then create a new partition with default everything (from the first available sector to the end of the disk) and tag it as ntfs. I think that might give you the results you need. Don't forget to save the changes at the end!
hkwint

Sep 21, 2008
8:32 AM EDT
I'd use sfdisk. It's what I used in the past when I screwed up; and to make 'backups' of my partition tables.

What you basically do is the following:

-Partition a 'test-device' - meaning the dvd partitioned in the 'future' manner; than dump in a format suited for later input. Something like:

#/sbin/sfdisk -d /dev/hdc >> dvd_disk.setup

Now, you don't have to delete the old partitions; you just can provide this input to sfdisk.

#/sbin/sfdisk /dev/hdd < dvd_disk.setup

However, I'm not sure this works for writable DVD as well. It does work for magnetic harddisks. Please read about the -O and -I option in the sfdisk manual; they provide an extra security mechanism you might need.
techiem2

Sep 21, 2008
2:10 PM EDT
Thanks guys! I hadn't thought of using sfdisk for it. That would probably be the easy way. Theoretically all the hard disks are identical (they're all the same model laptop anyway).
gus3

Sep 21, 2008
9:37 PM EDT
@techiem2:

Theoretically, yes, but you might want to check geometry on them first, or at least a sample of them. In my experience, manufacturers might substitute drives of equal, or slightly larger, capacity in order to match advertised specs, meaning the same model system might have a different model h.d.

You cannot post until you login.