OO.o 3.x is great

Story: OpenOffice.org 3.0 Promises New Life for Office SoftwareTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Sep 19, 2008
7:57 PM EDT
My boss doesn't realise this yet, but I saved him a bunch of money, by installing OO.o 3.x on my machine at work. He doesn't have to buy a license for another copy of MS Word 2007, I can read, and write docx, xlsx etc files, that are being sent to us now.
herzeleid

Sep 19, 2008
10:42 PM EDT
He doesn't deserve employees like you...
tracyanne

Sep 19, 2008
11:31 PM EDT
Who knows what the future will bring.
hkwint

Sep 21, 2008
8:17 AM EDT
Quoting: docx, xlsx etc files, that are being sent to us now.

Wow, that's already happening? That's (O)OXML, not? I haven't received those yet, everyone where I work sends PDF's (and engineering stuff like DXF/STEP etc.)

And does it work? Haven't had any comments yet?
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2008
8:36 AM EDT
Yeah it works fine. I haven't received any complicated files yet, and probably never will, I can imagine there may be some big formatting differences, but the worst I've had is that OO.o displayed a docx document wider than it should have been, I just adjusted the width of the text area to fit the page margins and everything else fell into place. the Spreadsheets are not a problem at all, although I suppose any VB macros may not work.
theboomboomcars

Sep 21, 2008
1:20 PM EDT
It's good to hear docx is working well with OO.o 3, I have received some from various professors at school and while I can open them in 2.4 most of the formatting is lost.
tracyanne

Sep 21, 2008
4:39 PM EDT
Just send your professors documents in ODT format, and see how well Word handles the formatting on those. One interesting aspect of getting OpenOffice.org out to lots of technology ignorant people is that they will use the native Open Document formatting, which forces some recipients, other technology ignorant to have to install OO.o, I've seen this happen with our local small town newspaper.
techiem2

Sep 21, 2008
5:27 PM EDT
lol I almost did that in my current class TA. But I opted to be kind to the prof and send him my homework as PDFs (exported from OO.o of course) instead.
theboomboomcars

Sep 21, 2008
10:39 PM EDT
I always send my stuff as a PDF. Most of my teachers ask for a MS file format or a PDF, so I send a PDF. I have introduced some of my teachers to OO.o though.
Sander_Marechal

Sep 22, 2008
5:20 PM EDT
At our company all reports are generated in ODF so that they can be easily converted to PDF (for printing and sending to clients) and DOC (for manual editing). Funny thing: we upgraded to OOo 2.4 (ODF 1.1) because of some new features we needed, but a bug in 2.2/2.4 caused some of the formatting to be lost when exporting the ODF to DOC.

Our PHB's solution: Everyone must use OOo and we drop MS-Office all together for the reports :-)
gus3

Sep 23, 2008
12:08 AM EDT
@Sander:

By definition, he isn't a PHB. A true PHB would never say that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!