Only 5 reasons?

Story: Five Reasons to Forego the G1Total Replies: 10
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Sep 26, 2008
1:36 AM EDT
Jusging by various other reviews of the G1 I read, it should be easy to come up with much more than 5 reasons not to get the G1. First and foremost: The hardware is two years old (outdated) and butt-ugly.
techiem2

Sep 26, 2008
2:18 AM EDT
Let's see... A quick overview of the points in the article and my opinion.

Reason 1: It's too expensive. Really? $180 seems pretty mid-range for a cell phone.

Reason 2: T-M isn't the biggest network
Quoting:I know T-Mobile is a worldwide force, but in the U.S., they are nothing much, nothing much.
Quoting:Would have been better to go with Verizon and compete head on with AT&T and the iPhone.

1. While I understand that TM isn't exactly huge here, from what I've read their customers are generally quite satisfied (In fact I would have strongly considered them for my Freerunner, but they don't have local service in my area.). 2. Verizon isn't a GSM network...is he really suggesting you take and OPEN Phone and then lock it down into a CLOSED network? Yeah...that makes sense...

Reason 3: It's temporarily locked. Ok, I agree on this.

Reason 4: No camera Woopty doo. I didn't realize that having a camera had become a vital part of a cell phone...*looks at his camera-less Freerunner*...*looks at the camera he's never used on his soon-to-be-canceled other prepaid phone*

Reason 5: It's not sexy enough Personally I think it's a matter of taste (note that I haven't seen the phone yet, so Sander's description may be accurate). However, some think the Freerunner is ugly, but I personally like it. Different people have different tastes. However I do see his point from a marketing perspective.

Also, why is EVERY open or semi-open phone being released compared to the iPhone like it's the Golden Standard of Phones (even though it doesn't have a camera...and is locked to a single provider...and the software choice is completely controlled by Apple.....)?

*Edit* Ok, after following the link and seeing the picture, I have to agree with Sander. That thing is pretty ugly.

*Edit2* hehe...on a funny note, I bet I could hook a USB webcam up to my Freerunner if I really wanted a camera on it....

Sander_Marechal

Sep 26, 2008
6:33 AM EDT
Quoting:*Edit* Ok, after following the link and seeing the picture, I have to agree with Sander. That thing is pretty ugly.

It's also old. Search around for spy pictures of the Android. There are a couple of leaked pictures from two years ago that show the exact same form. So the hardware hasn't changed much in two years.
DiBosco

Sep 26, 2008
11:10 AM EDT
Quoting:Also, why is EVERY open or semi-open phone being released compared to the iPhone like it's the Golden Standard of Phones (even though it doesn't have a camera...and is locked to a single provider...and the software choice is completely controlled by Apple.....)?

Probably because it *looks* sexy as f**k? Plus, it does have a pretty cool UI and (apparently.according to quite a few people I know who own one) actually works really well. (I should say that these are ot the 3G versions.

Much as I detest Apple, I do have to admit their stuff looks really good and is beautifully engineered. Other than that they are rip-off scumbags! ;-)
theboomboomcars

Sep 26, 2008
5:16 PM EDT
So I am confused, why does the iPhone look good, but the G1 look like crap? The both look like little black plastic rectangles to me, except that you can get the G1 in white.
tracyanne

Sep 26, 2008
5:47 PM EDT
Quoting:So I am confused, why does the iPhone look good, but the G1 look like crap?

A very good question. We know the iPhone is sexy, the Apple ads for it say so. Have you seen any ads for the G1, have any of them told you the G1 is sexy? No... well, now you know why.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 26, 2008
6:02 PM EDT
I heard it does not have a headphone jack to listen to your MP3's with.. that true?
Sander_Marechal

Sep 26, 2008
7:25 PM EDT
Quoting:So I am confused, why does the iPhone look good, but the G1 look like crap?

I don't find the iphone all that sexy, but it's better than the G1. My top two reasons:

- The iPhone looks smooth, shiny and sturdy. The G1 looks like cheap plastic. - The iPhone is slim. The G1 is as thick as a brick.
theboomboomcars

Sep 26, 2008
8:44 PM EDT
So shiny smooth plastic is better than not so shiny plastic.

I don't think I am sold on the really slim thing though. Slim is nice, but these new apple products seem a bit over thin.

I think I like the freerunner though and if I were to get a "smart" phone that would be the one I would get. I haven't been impressed with any of the cell carriers so I have no desire to get a cell phone, let alone an expensive "smart" phone.
techiem2

Sep 26, 2008
9:08 PM EDT
I love my Freerunner. :) Given, I don't actually use it a phone much, but the few times I have it worked well.
tracyanne

Sep 26, 2008
9:43 PM EDT
I just had a bit more of a look at the G1, it doesn't look at all thick, it looks quite slim actually, and it has a slide out qwerty keyboard. It doesn't look at all cheap, instead it looks quite solid, and it has a "hard" keyboard. The biggest difference between the two, however, is the presence, or lack of, ads that are designed to make the phone look sexy and cool.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!