which linux distro has full/wide technical support?

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
marither

Oct 11, 2008
2:18 PM EDT
which linux distro has full/wide technical support?
TxtEdMacs

Oct 11, 2008
3:03 PM EDT
Red Hat and Novell will help you integrate with Windows too.
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 11, 2008
4:01 PM EDT
Marither:

You may find more complete answers at linuxquestions.org There are literally thousands of forum threads that you can choose from to ask your questions too or you can also put your question in as a search which should yield you much more, and more accurate information. Our forums are mostly for the discussion of Linux News and FOSS related subjects.

jdixon

Oct 11, 2008
7:10 PM EDT
The distro with the best support overall is almost certainly Red Hat. The distro with the best non-commercial support is probably Debian, though I'm open to other opinions on the matter.
herzeleid

Oct 11, 2008
7:56 PM EDT
> The distro with the best support overall is almost certainly Red Hat.

I'm not sure what you base that statement on. We used to be a red hat shop. In addition to the distro being rather flaky (dns crashes, cpu utilization/thrashing bugs etc) support was basically a check box item. In other words it was there in theory, but nothing to write home about.

OTOH Novell, for all their creepy microsoft flirtation, does ship a solid server distro, which we are happy with, and their tech support people are pretty solid as well. So I'd definitely go with Novell/SuSE Linux for say an oracle cluster.

Agreed, debian is a good choice for the non-commercial support, though it is worth mentioning that ubuntu has commercial emterprise level support in addition to pretty good community support. so a vote for ubuntu here as well.
jdixon

Oct 11, 2008
10:25 PM EDT
> In other words it was there in theory, but nothing to write home about.

> Novell, for all their creepy microsoft flirtation, does ship a solid server distro, which we are happy with, and their tech support people are pretty solid as well.

Most people I've talked to have exactly the opposite experience concerning support, but I'll admit that it's a relatively small sample. But the folks I've spoken to who have used Red Hat's support speak highly of it. Obviously, mileage varies. :)

But it's not just Red Hat's direct support I was speaking of, but also application and third party support. Almost everybody out there who supports Linux at all supports Red Hat as a platform for their application and equipment.

Personally, I've never used either for my own system, though I have installed Red Hat a few times (back when it was still available as a non-enterprise version) just to be able to answer questions about it. I found there knowledge base and documentation to be as good as anyone's out there.
tracyanne

Oct 11, 2008
11:23 PM EDT
Mandriva's commercial support is pretty good, but you have to realise that there is a whole world outside of the US, before you can really understand that. I also find the Mandriva Forums are very helpful (from the POV of free support), not that I have that many problems with Mandriva, and rarely call upon that support.
jdixon

Oct 12, 2008
12:22 AM EDT
> but you have to realise that there is a whole world outside of the US

Something those of us in the US sometimes forget, I'll admit. But yeah, Mandriva's support in Europe is probably on par with Red Hat's. Red Hat's is probably better on a world wide basis though.

> ...not that I have that many problems with Mandriva...

Well, except for KDE 4. :)

The next Slackware looks like it will have KDE 4 too, so I'll get to see the problems first hand. Though I expect I'll be sticking with XFCE as my default desktop.

You cannot post until you login.