Choosing Your Relatives

Story: 5 More Things I Wish Linux Had And One I Wish It Didn'tTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
dthacker

Oct 17, 2008
12:01 PM EDT
The zealots that the author would like to get rid of are in many cases the people who have put in the blood, sweat, and toil to advance linux to the point it is today. It's unfortunate that the author sees no value in them. Without them, we'd have an operating system more like MacOS and Windows. Prettier marketing, but less freedom. If you join the family, you can't choose your relatives.

Dave
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 17, 2008
12:06 PM EDT
Linux does NOT need a new name, there, I said it...
dinotrac

Oct 17, 2008
12:52 PM EDT
Dave :

No.

In a few cases, maybe, but the people who have done serious work on the software tend to be reasonable people.

Scratch a raving wingnut and you're more likely to find a leech than a contributor.
helios

Oct 17, 2008
5:16 PM EDT
I've learned to scan these before I devote any time to reading them. This is a good reason for doing so...

"5. A New Name - Yep. There, I said it. Linux needs a new name. Windows is something recognizable. Mac and Apple are both recognizable names. They are all easy to say and don't allow for any interpretation or mispronunciation. Linux, as a name, is a bit offputting and its pronunciation is not obvious. Those not in the know irritatingly pronounce it Lye-nux. Let's choose something that's easy to say, spell, catchy, and recognizable. The name should not include: OS, ix, or anything computerish--think Windows, Mac, Apple, Vista, Solaris, Netware, and so on."

And touching on the note of Zealots...

I'd rather be fueled by my beliefs than tethered by political inertia and correctness.

I just want to weep sometimes.

h
tuxchick

Oct 17, 2008
5:35 PM EDT
I'm with dino. The flamers, trolls, and fanbois are not the ones who contribute. Take a good scan of the LKML, for one example- the one really rude one is Linus, and almost everyone else is pretty polite.

The rest of the article is kind of dopey, but I do agree with that one point.
InTheLoop

Oct 17, 2008
10:47 PM EDT
The people who say Linux needs a "new name" have a point. "Linux" has a bad reputation from long ago. The thing is, we don't need a "new name," we just need to use the distributions' names more.
hkwint

Oct 26, 2008
11:11 AM EDT
Quoting:Linux, as a name, is a bit offputting and its pronunciation is not obvious.

Totally BS. This only goes for some arrogant native English speaking people who are not used to speaking foreign languages: a small minority in this world anyway. The thing which Linux doesn't need is people thinking their country / language is the only one in the world; because they are just as sad as people who think their OS is the only one in the world. Apart from that it's a non-issue. In German / Latin languages both Vista and Mac may be pronounced in a different way than a couple of native English speakers intended it to. So what? Most of them take the effort to pronounce it in the way it is intended to, and if not, as long as those people understand each other their really is no problem.
dinotrac

Oct 26, 2008
11:20 AM EDT
Hans --

I couldn't disagree more. It's clear to me that Linux needs a new name to energize it's push for new niches.

I'm thinking, hmmm...well, dinotrax would do the trick.

Yeah. That would be just about perfect.
ColonelPanik

Oct 26, 2008
11:45 AM EDT
dinotrax? I saw that advertised on TV one Sunday morning, real early, 28 years ago.

Linux it is and Linux it will always be! Its a funny name and the users are funny people
TxtEdMacs

Oct 26, 2008
4:27 PM EDT
dino,

I am with you!!

We'll call it: DinoTrax OS [aka Linux]! And our motto will be: "Beat's the Hell out of Every[thing / body].

Tell me you like it.

YBT (a.k.a. Your Buddy Txt.)
dinotrac

Oct 26, 2008
5:25 PM EDT
Txt -

Why, why -- it's almost like discovering a soul mate.

You read my mind.

Now -- where do we recruit the leg-breakers?
newmikey

Oct 27, 2008
7:31 AM EDT
@hkwint "This only goes for some arrogant native English speaking people who are not used to speaking foreign languages"

I second that. Nothing wrong with "Linux", whichever way you want to pronounce it. Linus himself does it like this: http://www.jx90.com/linux.html

jacog

Oct 27, 2008
8:56 AM EDT
Someone will insist it be called GNU/Dinotrax
TxtEdMacs

Oct 27, 2008
9:54 AM EDT
dino,

If I am not mistaken you are in the Chicago area, just talk to a cop or two that works part time for the force. Also I hear there are plenty of IRA guys looking for work. Or further afield what about those guys just scraping by hijacking ships for ransom off the Somalian coast. And if you prefer Asians there are those getting less attention that have in the same business longer off various Indonesian islands surrounding critical trade routes.

Hey I am thinking of starting a business where one can hire the muscle required. How do you like ThugsRUs? Recruiting is easy, it's the vetting that's a problem. They have to pass through multiple scanners and no clay like slabs for bulking up allowed. We have to view them with their shirts off through blast shields.

Other than those few inconveniences, it's a buyer's market. With unrestrained population growth, world wide degradation we have our choice of the finest set of enforcers. Buy From Us (or Else!) is our motto. Want to partner, buddy?

Txt.
jacog

Oct 28, 2008
5:39 AM EDT
And make them throw a chair, just to see.
dinotrac

Oct 28, 2008
9:02 AM EDT
jacog -

Unfortunately, at my age, it would be Old/dinotrax.

Txt -

ThugsRUs is good. We could open big box retail outlets under the Pain Depot banner.
jdixon

Oct 28, 2008
9:34 AM EDT
> ThugsRUs is good. We could open big box retail outlets under the Pain Depot banner.

Yes, but the name should be more PC than that. How about SecurityRUS (which was a standard line in the various RPG games I used to attend).
TxtEdMacs

Oct 28, 2008
9:50 AM EDT
Quoting:How about SecurityRUS ...

Sorry already taken by Blackwater, I hear they are very nasty protecting their copyrights and wrongs.

Now back to ThugRUs, we store these people in electrified cages with bullet resistant semi-transparent viewing ports. None gets out until the victim ... that doesn't sound right. I think I mean the retainee pays in cash and signs all sorts of "Not Responsible ... " for damages to whom and to whatever.

Dino we can quit work and live on the residuals. This is a no lose money wagon. At least, for us.

Txt.
jdixon

Oct 28, 2008
9:56 AM EDT
> Sorry already taken by Blackwater...

That actually wouldn't surprise me in the least. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!