Interesting...

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
techiem2

Oct 20, 2008
8:35 PM EDT
Friend sent this link over tonight.

No more Windows XP from Tomato Garden http://www.china.org.cn/business/2008-10/16/content_16623576...
tracyanne

Oct 20, 2008
9:12 PM EDT
Quoting:Ni Guangnan, from the Chinese Academy of Engineering, wrote in a recent article posted on Sina.com that rampant software piracy has hurt domestic companies far more than foreign companies.

"Although pirated software has reduced the revenue of foreign companies, it has helped maintain their dominant position in the market and squeezed domestic companies out," says Ni. "We should continue to crack down on pirated software, not for the benefit of foreign companies, but for our own benefit."
azerthoth

Oct 20, 2008
10:12 PM EDT
My goodness, thats downright poetic.
NoDough

Oct 21, 2008
11:17 AM EDT
Stories like that sicken me.

It's nauseating to think that such a high percentage of a population would choose to break the law, then present false justification finger pointing at the victim.

Granted, the victim in this case is a greedy, unethical, convicted monopolist. But the proper response is the pursuit of legal alternatives, not criminal activity.
bigg

Oct 21, 2008
11:36 AM EDT
Quoting:The logic is clear: when a pirated copy of Windows software is available for 5 yuan, who would pay nearly a month's salary for a copy of authentic software

Why pay 5 yuan for pirated software when you can Ubuntu for free? Sure, there's no chance of free room and board with Ubuntu, but I can't imagine Chinese prisons are a lot of fun.
jdixon

Oct 21, 2008
2:22 PM EDT
> ...but I can't imagine Chinese prisons are a lot of fun.

And what's the chance of your getting caught, or being made the public victim if you are? Those well reported crackdowns are mostly symbolic gestures for public opinion purposes. Most Chinese are probably willing to take the chance.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!