Author Content
tracyanne

Oct 22, 2008
7:27 PM EDT
http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1399635276
techiem2

Oct 22, 2008
8:09 PM EDT
...and there were many ssh tunnels formed....
jsusanka

Oct 22, 2008
8:16 PM EDT
"So it appears there will be no way to escape from being blocked from seeing sites that are false positives due to buggy & broken filters or incorrectly classified, etc.."

who cares about broken filters - how dare they filter at all. if something isn't breaking a law then it is illegal to filter it.

this has ramifications beyond belief and all the corporations and politicians are licking their chops at this one waiting for it to get established.

there seems to be a disease in the governments of the so-called free world today that they seem to know what it best for me and my family. this really puts us on the level of the taliban, iran, and china.

can't wait till all the lobbyists get a hold of this idea and then there will be hundreds of save the children from the internet bills that will just keep coming up till one gets passed and then freedom of the press is done. but hey the constitution is nothing but a piece of paper anyway.
techiem2

Oct 22, 2008
8:31 PM EDT
As was pointed out in TA's linked article, you have either the choice of "full" filtering or only "illegal content" filtering. But as pointed out, who determines what is "illegal" and why? P2P apps? Torrent? ssh? (after all you could tunnel out with it....) It leaves the system wide open for abuse by the ISPs, Government, and those who strive to influence them. Might as well just block access to any non-au IP to make sure.
jdixon

Oct 22, 2008
9:03 PM EDT
> It leaves the system wide open for abuse by the ISPs, Government, and those who strive to influence them.

Which is, of course, exactly what they want. But, "It's for the children". Sigh. Hanging's too good for them.
azerthoth

Oct 22, 2008
9:14 PM EDT
jdixon, you should finish the quote.

"Hangin's to good for him. Burnin's too good for him. He should be torn into bitsy pieces and buried alive"
jdixon

Oct 22, 2008
9:42 PM EDT
> ...you should finish the quote.

That's not my source for the phrase, azerthoth. The phrase goes back a bit farther than 1981. Here's my source:

"Hanging is too good for him, said Mr. Cruelty. Let us dispatch him out of the way, said Mr. Hate-light." -- The Pilgrim's Progress 1678.

Even that may not be the original, but it's the oldest reference I know of. And given that "The Pilgrim's Progess" is one of the oldest Modern English works it may be the original source.

azerthoth

Oct 22, 2008
10:59 PM EDT
It's the one that jumps into my head whenever I hear (read) that. Kind of like when anyone asks me "Whats the answer?" I will invariably answer 42.
gus3

Oct 23, 2008
12:06 AM EDT
Sed quis custodies ipsos custodes?

Who guards the guardians?
Sander_Marechal

Oct 23, 2008
1:45 AM EDT
I thought that was "Who watches the watchers"?
gus3

Oct 23, 2008
2:37 AM EDT
Same thing.
NoDough

Oct 23, 2008
9:33 AM EDT
FOSS people have the wonderful ability to invent around such restrictions.
jdixon

Oct 23, 2008
10:26 AM EDT
> It's the one that jumps into my head whenever I hear (read) that.

Well, now you know another one, and you can tell all the Heavy Metal fans where it came from the next time the subject comes up. Whether or not that will impress them is a debatable matter. :)
ColonelPanik

Oct 23, 2008
10:40 AM EDT
tracyanne, What to do? Maybe y'all should turn off the computers for a day? That would get the attention of your overlords rather quickly.

The ADMINS do rule the world.
Sander_Marechal

Oct 23, 2008
11:02 AM EDT
Quoting:Same thing.

Not to my ears. "Who guards against the guardians?" sounds a lot more accurate and in line with "Who watches the watchers". Then again, I'm not a native English speaker.
jsusanka

Oct 23, 2008
11:56 AM EDT
"As was pointed out in TA's linked article, you have either the choice of "full" filtering or only "illegal content" filtering. But as pointed out, who determines what is "illegal" and why?"

exactly what I meant by my earlier post - what will be illegal? to report wrong doings by politicians

I mean you are crossing the lines of free speech too. Will it be illegal for someone to blog or write howto's

I mean those are extremes but how would we know? If someone can't see it because it is filtered because someone thought it was in my best interest and thought it was illegal then how do you know it is even illegal? will writing a howto on how to install music codecs in linux be illegal? will actually downloading a distribution be illegal because it infringes on some patents that are granted but may or may not be valid.

I mean the Pandora's box of civil rights this opens up is mind boggling much less moral, ethical, and religious rights

anyway my two cents worth - if it is still legal
NoDough

Oct 23, 2008
1:29 PM EDT
Quoting:what will be illegal? to report wrong doings by politicians
You'll find that, in the U.S., the web is already being scrubbed of such items often with the threat of either legal or civil actions.
techiem2

Oct 23, 2008
3:27 PM EDT
And let us not forget China
tracyanne

Oct 23, 2008
4:24 PM EDT
Rudd the Magnificent knows what's best for us, that's why this sort of thing was proposed in the first place.
ColonelPanik

Oct 23, 2008
7:35 PM EDT
Your lucky to have such a leader. /sarcasm

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!