Firefox 3.0.4 is a lot better than IE's 6 and 7

Story: Tutorial: Why Firefox Rocks: Great Firefox Tricks, Part IVTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
phsolide

Nov 21, 2008
5:15 PM EDT
Why people continue to use IE is way beyond me. Firefox continually gets *faster*, adds the features first, and has better plug-ins. Comparing Firefox on a 700MHz Linux box w/384 Mb and IE 7 on a 1.8GHz Windows XP box with 768Mb, Firefox wins hands down on every aspect. IE still has a bit of a problem with CSS, and after you have, say 5 tabs, it hits the wall. Switching between tabs is painfully slow, as is adding a new tab. 15+ tabs on Firefox without a noticeable slowdown.

tuxchick

Nov 21, 2008
5:19 PM EDT
No kidding. IE is lacking in speed and features, plus it's malware magnet. Anything that can infest your PC just from a drive-by on an infected Web site should be taken out back and humanely euthanized.
tracyanne

Nov 21, 2008
5:30 PM EDT
Quoting:Anything that can infest your PC just from a drive-by on an infected Web site should be taken out back and humanely euthanized.

Sorry TC, a slow painful death in this case is really the best choice for those observing, it's cathartic (in the emotional sense, that is, in the other sense would be quite messy indeed).
bigg

Nov 21, 2008
5:41 PM EDT
Does anyone, particularly in Redmond, have any idea why Microsoft still even bothers with IE?

The main advantage would seem to be that they can lock users in to Windows. Yet that is no longer true with the exception of a few strange places on the internet like Citibank's website (and they'll soon be bankrupt).

They are wasting a lot of development time on IE that could be used to produce a competitive OS. They should drop their media player as well, for that matter.
gus3

Nov 21, 2008
5:56 PM EDT
As long as anyone is paid by ignorant pinhead bosses to develop ActiveX controls, there will be MSIE.
Steven_Rosenber

Nov 22, 2008
2:40 PM EDT
My main Web-based SAAS app requires IE, won't let you log in with Firefox (or anything Mozilla-ish), Safari or Chrome, but works about 98 percent of the way with Opera.

I decided to spend a day using IE 7.

First of all: Could it be any slower?

Second: Did I say how slow it was?

Third: I discovered that one of my sites will display a Google Map in an Iframe in every browser but IE. Too bad 60+ percent of our readers use IE.

IE -- so much to love ...
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 22, 2008
3:41 PM EDT
Internet Explorer gets used for one thing and one thing only, Windows updates. And I only have to do that on the two XP partitions I have.

Other than that, I haven't used it for anything other than when I have had to at my work in 4+ years now. It just doesn't make sense to me to use IE for anything when I have Firefox.

I have been using Firefox since .7, and if I had to go back to that version to stay away from IE, I happily would. Seriously, even back at .7 and .8, Firefox had IE in the rear view mirror.

tuxchick

Nov 22, 2008
9:50 PM EDT
BTW I must compliment Akkana Peck, the author of the article. She is an ace coder and an excellent writer, and a pretty OK human being :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!