Doomed?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Dec 09, 2008
5:39 PM EDT
http://linuxlock.blogspot.com/2008_12_01_archive.html

Some poor educator in Texas has stepped into a a huge pile of pre-compost somewhere out on the plains.

I hope they can get a video of this!
techiem2

Dec 09, 2008
5:59 PM EDT
Wow...such complete cluelessness... Sadly not surprising considering the educational system.

Go Get Em Helios!

I love the "I tried Linux in college and it was bad then..." and the "It's not MS so it's holding kids back" arguments. Not only clueless about Linux and computer education in general, but also about the whole philosophy of FOSS as apparent in the quote:
Quoting:I am sure if you contacted Microsoft, they would be more than happy to supply you with copies of an older verison of Windows and that way, your computers would actually be of service to those receiving them.

This is, unfortunately, why we still have Windows (2000) on the comps at my church's private school. Our license didn't cover the "new" machines we were given a while ago (apparently the license we had only allowed up to P2s, and we were given P3s) and I was ready to (and had most likely convinced the person that handles such things to let me) install Linux on the machines. Unfortuneately he called MS and they changed our license to "allow" us to use Win2k on the new machines. :(
tuxchick

Dec 09, 2008
6:01 PM EDT
Clueless about education itself, too.
techiem2

Dec 09, 2008
6:21 PM EDT
Yaknow...I was just thinking about this quote:

Quoting:This is a world where Windows runs on virtually every computer

I started thinking...considering how just about all electronics are really just specialized computers these days...if the REAL numbers were out for desktops and laptops (arguably the major source of Windows installs), servers, netbooks, PDAs, phones, portable audio and video players, TVs (yes, my TV runs linux apparently), DVRs, DVD players, etc. etc.......I bet the MS share of installs would look rather pathetic.
Steven_Rosenber

Dec 09, 2008
7:42 PM EDT
I actually found a Windows 2000 box still in service in my shop. Couldn't believe it ...
techiem2

Dec 09, 2008
8:05 PM EDT
I'm still laughing at the "no software is free" line. Apparently the person has never heard of sites like Sourceforge, NoNags (a nice site for Windows freeware), TuCows, Download.com, etc. etc. etc. Or of programs like Firefox, iTunes, Quicktime Player, Flash Player....... Hey, even IE is "free" (well, I think technically you have to have a Windows license...but still..some of us remember when it WASN'T integrated into Windows). I mean, I've been using free (not necessarily Free though) software since my first Windows 3.1 computer....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!