linux killer? not likely

Story: Windows 7: The Linux killerTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 22, 2008
10:00 PM EDT
What is Windows 7 going to offer that is so compelling? A friendlier EULA? Fewer confusing editions, each one artificially crippled in a different way? Sleeker and less hardware-hungry? More stable? More secure? Less expensive? I have heard nothing to indicate a ground-up rewrite, which is what it would take to fix Windows.

SSDs are poised to replace PATA and SATA hard drives. I think Windows 7 deserves its own special abbreviation: the SSDD Edition. Yes, you got it right folks-- 'Same Stuff, Different Day'.
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 22, 2008
10:20 PM EDT
I couldn't agree more Carla, I have the same amount of 'inclination' to use Windows 7 as I do with Vista.

Which is of course, zero. ;-)
Scott_Ruecker

Dec 22, 2008
10:34 PM EDT
Preface: I am not a Microsoft apologist. ;-)

I can't believe I am saying it but if, IF, your going to use Windows, XP isn't too bad. Of course its had 8 years of tweaking and fixes applied to it but then that is why its "not too bad"..for Windows mind you. 2000 SP4 might as well be XP SP1 but Vista is a bloated, slow, broken dog (no insult to actual dogs meant) of an Operating System.

I cannot see how Windows 7 is going to break away from the Vista framework underneath.
jdixon

Dec 22, 2008
11:05 PM EDT
> I cannot see how Windows 7 is going to break away from the Vista framework underneath.

It won't. Careful analysis (there were links here on LXer to the relevant articles) has already demonstrated that Windows 7 is still Vista underneath, with all of it's inherent flaws.

However, Microsoft will claim it has, and that's all folks like this need to start their celebration. You know, "a complete re-write from the ground up", and "the most secure version of Windows ever". Just like all the times before.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 23, 2008
3:48 AM EDT
Exactly. Every article and benchmark I've seen for Windows 7 indicated that it runs at the same speed and hardware requirements as Vista.

I am pretty sure that Microsoft is simply pulling a big switcharoo here. Vista has gotten such a bad name that they need to move away from it. So, name it Windows 7, slap some UI enhancements on it and call it done. At the same time, rename the real Windows 7 that has all the new features to Windows 8.

It explains perfectly why (a) Windows 7 is so much like Vista and (b) why Windows 7 is coming much earlier than indicated.
ColonelPanik

Dec 23, 2008
1:43 PM EDT
Time to start pre-unselling winders 7.

Let your clients know that as bad a vista is its replacement is just more of the same. Don't wait, upgrade to Linux now.

Make them happy with Linux before the Rodents of Redmond even get the new malware out.
jdixon

Dec 23, 2008
1:51 PM EDT
> At the same time, rename the real Windows 7 that has all the new features to Windows 8.

You expect more from Microsoft than I do. The only new "feature" I expect with Windows 8 is yet another redesigned start menu, utilizing the experience they've gained from Office 2007's ribbon. I'm sure it will be touted as the greatest UI improvement ever by the Redmond faithful.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 23, 2008
2:32 PM EDT
Quoting:You expect more from Microsoft than I do.

I don't expect them to deliver :-) But you can bet that MS is *planning* a boatload of new features that will be killed off one-by-one as the release date approaches. Think XAML and WinFS.
jdixon

Dec 23, 2008
3:35 PM EDT
> I don't expect them to deliver :-)

OK, we agree then. :)

> But you can bet that MS is *planning* a boatload of new features...

I expect they're planning to "announce" a boatload of new features. Whether they're actually working on them is anyone's guess. But, like as XAML and WinFS, they'll be vaporware, just as you say.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!