Does the Bush administration have no shame in its

Story: British PCs can now hack your personal computer without a warrantTotal Replies: 15
Author Content
dinotrac

Jan 07, 2009
10:23 AM EDT
continued violence against the Constititution.

Wait...what's that you say?

Brussels? London?

Aren't those in the EU?

Never mind.
tuxchick

Jan 07, 2009
11:08 AM EDT
It's a bit boggling how easy it is for the various $sods to get away with this cr@p.
dinotrac

Jan 07, 2009
11:11 AM EDT
In a funny way, I'm actually enjoying it.

It's a continuation of the silly good guys/bad guys theme....

Focus on the "bad guys", and you'll be unprepared when the "good guys" stick one in your back.
phsolide

Jan 07, 2009
12:20 PM EDT
Wait, what constitutes the *real* issue for LXer.com readers?

What if you don't hold UK citizenship (disclaimer: I don't). Can the various British police agencies perform a "remote search" on my PC? What if I visit a UK web site (i.e my favorite on-line trade rag, The Register)? How can they determine my citizenship? Surely my IP address doesn't contain such an indicator.

Secondarily, can the British police "remote search" my linux boxes? I read /var/log/httpd/access_log and /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog regularly. I run "last" every once in a while to see who logs in from where. Unless they physically break in to my house and put on a hardware keylogger, I'll probably notice the intrusion. I also semi-regularly spill coffee in my keyboard, and thus have numerous spare, semi-working keyboards that I trade around on a regular basis. I might notice a hardware keylogger with the next coffee spill.

Honestly, it seems to me that any such "remote search" will hose up my computers, one way or the other and I'll notice it (maybe as a "bug" or "crash") and fix it.

Tertiarily, will all the various "anti"-virus vendors have to attain complicity in this? If they A-V programs don't detect the British Police Trojan, can't the VX-ers use that as a way for them to stay undetected themselves? How can they enforce this on my Slackware systems, where I regularly decide to replace packages like "psmisc", "e2fsprogs" and compile my own, slimmed-down kernels?

I gues that I don't understand how the British Police will accomplish this on a technical basis. Are British Citizens required to run some specific software? That's the only way I can see it working.
dinotrac

Jan 07, 2009
12:36 PM EDT
phsolide --

Making sense of what they get might be a problem, but it sounds like part of this, at least, is simply a version of "war driving".
Sander_Marechal

Jan 07, 2009
1:24 PM EDT
@phsolide: This applied to wifi hacking, from the article. They're not going to hack you over the internet, but hack into your computer(s) through your wifi.
azerthoth

Jan 07, 2009
1:40 PM EDT
Quoting:Back then the police decided that BT users had given implied consent for BT to allow Phorm to secretly monitor their Internet usage, arguing that no offence had been committed as the trials were in the interest of the users.

That is actually the scariest part of the whole article, I read this, in essence, if you allow your computer to be infected with some malware/virii, even unknowingly, then you have given implied consent for anyone to remotely access and monitor your computer. That I believe is the backdoor that the EU could take.

wifi, folks in this day and age, not knowing that you need to lock down your wifi connections is like not knowing that hot coffee is hot, and hot things can hurt if spilled. Although the US legal system doesnt recognize that fact.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 09, 2009
5:24 PM EDT
Dino, here's a quote from someone who echo's exactly what you said:

...darn, I just can't find it. Basically, it was "Be careful when you pick your friends. No enemy will do you as much damage as a false friend."

But I did find a few other ones from the same source:

http://www.lneilsmith.org/tactical.html

Choose your allies carefully: it's highly unlikely that you'll ever be held morally, legally, or historically accountable for the actions of your enemies.

Choose your enemies carefully: you'll probably be known much better and far longer for who they were, than for anything else you ever managed to accomplish.
hkwint

Jan 09, 2009
6:14 PM EDT
Quoting:Wait...what's that you say?

Brussels? London?

Dino, Dino, Dino... I suggest you read news more often, then you would have noticed amongst others it were the Germans who started this (again), I think in 2006/7 or so. Spying on citizens by the government and other citizens is just something that happens in the best democratic republics / monarchies, like in the Deutsche Democratic Republic.
montezuma

Jan 09, 2009
11:04 PM EDT
Ah the good ole DDR! Stasi Memories.....

Kommen Sie zu uns sonst kommen wir zu Ihnen

http://www.spiegel.de/fotostrecke/fotostrecke-33892.html#bac...
dinotrac

Jan 10, 2009
12:18 AM EDT
Hans --

A seed that falls on infertile ground will not grow.

***cough*** Brussels ***cough*** London ***cough***

Amsterdam?
Shagbag

Jan 10, 2009
7:40 AM EDT
As a UK resident (and UK citizen) this is nothing more than a joke. The Keystone Cops 'hacking' (s/be 'cracking' btw) getting past my firewalled Snort box while I browse behind my TOR/privoxy-enabled, no-scripted Firefox running on my SElinux-enabled PC? Pull the other one.
azerthoth

Jan 10, 2009
1:32 PM EDT
Shag, what about your neighbor, the windows user whose wireless network is wide open.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 10, 2009
4:55 PM EDT
Az, UserFriendly had a _fantastic_ comic or two on that subject in the last week. I recommend userfriendly.org highly.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 10, 2009
5:10 PM EDT
@Bob: It's been running all week. The start is here: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20090105
Shagbag

Jan 11, 2009
6:33 AM EDT
azerthoth, there's only so much I can do. His Netgear DG834T still has the default 'password' for the 'admin' web login and he's running 802.11g completely open (not even WEP). Anyways, I still need his network so that I test my own firewall and IDS with Nmap.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!