making Dana Blankenhorn look brilliant

Story: Windows 7, A Linux User's PerspectiveTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 17, 2009
9:10 PM EDT
WTF this is doing on Linux Journal is a huge mystery, but ever since the current publisher (Carlie Fairchild) took over from Phil Hughes, the quality has declined noticeably. Thankfully some good authors remain, like Dave Phillips, Federico Kereki, Mick Bauer, Kyle Rankin, and so on. Oh and look, it's still an exclusive boy's club. How special.
billbar

Jan 17, 2009
10:26 PM EDT
Couldn't you have said it just as effectively without the obscenity. Like a compiler that hits an error I shut down on profanity, grammar and spelling errors. I'll probably skip the rest of your posts.
tracyanne

Jan 17, 2009
10:42 PM EDT
WTF, the only obscenity is in your mind, I read that as Wichita Tourettes Federation
jdixon

Jan 17, 2009
11:17 PM EDT
> Couldn't you have said it just as effectively without the obscenity.

WTF is carefully used so as not to be an obscenity. Would you rather she spelled it out?
azerthoth

Jan 17, 2009
11:20 PM EDT
I have a fairly low tolerance for written profanity when not in literature, I take no offense to WTF, I do however take offense to totalitarianism in any form.
tuxchick

Jan 18, 2009
1:04 AM EDT
I should just not read LJ anyway, as it is irksome which doesn't matter to anyone but me. And whoever else may be irked :)
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 18, 2009
2:29 AM EDT
You causing trouble again Carla? Its always something with you isn't it? ;-)

As far as I am concerned the abbreviation of commonly used expletive phrases is ok with me. Now a whole sentence of them? No. But here and there and used tactfully I have no issue with. I use WTF and SOL and POS all the time in my personal texts, trust me I can curse with the best. I may be a bit desensitized to their use because of it though..
tracyanne

Jan 18, 2009
3:33 AM EDT
WTF: Waterford Tourist Finder SOL: Sanitised Old Leather POS: Pass On the Left
TxtEdMacs

Jan 18, 2009
9:36 AM EDT
Quoting:WTF ...

Filthy, deviant minds find and are predisposed to see obscenity everywhere except where it resides in full view, but veiled in ostensibly in good manners.

In the free software context, those that I would nominate for winners in that category are: "RTFM" and Open Source.

Your buddy Txt.swimming in the intellectual muck.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 18, 2009
9:40 AM EDT
Scott or TA,

Could you send me a private note telling me what POS might mean, so I could use it knowledgeably, of course, only when appropriate and needed?

Thanks,

YBT*

* Your buddy Txt.
billbar

Jan 18, 2009
1:57 PM EDT
I knew I was stepping in front of a juggernaut. I am neither of filthy, deviant mind or lacking virginity in the use of profanity, as in "thumb struck with hammer" and other situations best served with an expletive.

This was simply a protest (obviously useless) to the continuing decline of elegance and eloquence in our social intercourse.

gus3

Jan 18, 2009
2:01 PM EDT
POS = Point Of Sale

(former dev here)
jdixon

Jan 18, 2009
2:37 PM EDT
> This was simply a protest...

Well, the TOS states:

Do not place any material on our service that could be considered offensive, indecent, abusive, hateful, harassing, libelous, profane, vulgar or unlawful.

So you have some cause for the protest. However, IMO, it would be best reserved for those occasions where the person is actually using understandable profanity. Most of the folks on LX'er seem to make a habit of cloaking their profanity in such a way that the message still gets across to those with enough age or knowledge, while hopefully being obscure enough to pass by children.

LX'er tends to use a light hand in moderating the forums, but they have been known to do so, so if you feel a post is overly profane or obscene, you should notify the forum moderators.
moopst

Jan 18, 2009
3:54 PM EDT
POS is used to describe point of sale systems and I thought at one time Apache had modules for proprietary operating systems using that acronym.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 18, 2009
4:02 PM EDT
Oh, I get it. POS ==[=]* Proprietary Operating System. Now that's obscene!

* syntax varies by choice of scripting or programming language. Means exactly matches.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 19, 2009
3:45 AM EDT
That would make Windows a POS POS then eh?! :-)
Shagbag

Jan 19, 2009
4:19 AM EDT
WTFRUGOA? AFAIK & IIRC, "WTF"~l33tSPK 4 H4XX0R5.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 19, 2009
9:18 AM EDT
You know what really scares me? I actually understand what Shagbag wrote there...
ColonelPanik

Jan 19, 2009
1:29 PM EDT
Sander, Now thats NFG.
techiem2

Jan 19, 2009
2:50 PM EDT
So do I...sadly....

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!