Untitled

Story: Wisconsin Girl Cancels Online College Courses Thanks To A Mind Blown By Her Ubuntu DellTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 18, 2009
4:08 AM EDT
The Girl is neither stupid or lazy. This is a problem I face every time I sell a Linux computer, or upgrade a computer to Linux from that other Operating system.

Lack of knowledge combined with expectations. She doesn't know how to set up an ADSL modem, and nor should she. The expectation is that the software sent to her by her ISP is the right software, it wasn't. But they never asked her what OS she was using, they assumed Windows.

More lack of knowledge that OpenOffice is fully compatible with MS Office, she didn't know that, there is no readily available information to tell her that. More assumtions, here, but in this case of the FOSS and Ubuntu (and in general Linux Distributors). the assumption is that people will have heard of this stuff, or will go looking for the information. Most people are used to having the information pushed at them (in the form of advertisements mostly), so the assumption is that they will be told these things.

The problem related to expectation is that Verizon and the other ISPs don't support Linux. even though it would be a simple matter to build CDs that do all the same things as the Windows CDs do. In the case of Linux they could even get the job done for free, as Linux developers would probably do the job for free.

In my case I simply set up the ADSL modem for the client.

There are lessons to be learned here, for the Linux Distributions Mandriva, Ubuntu, SuSE, RedHAt etc, if they want the Linux experience to be a seemless one, which it clearly was not for this girl. There is a big need to ensure that it is possible for things like setting up ADLS Modems is the same drop in a CD experience as it is for Windows users, even if this means people like Mark Shuttleworth of Ubuntu or Hervé Yahi of Mandriva or the leading light of other Linux Distributions sitting down with Verizon and others to sort this sort of issue out.

Also the Linux Distributors need to do more pushing of information into the general public sphere, without that, people don't know about Linux and FOSS.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 18, 2009
9:59 AM EDT
[serious]

TA,

My compliments, you have seen the inherent problem from a fresh, knowledgeable perspective.

[/serious]

YBT
jdixon

Jan 18, 2009
11:05 AM EDT
What I want to know is how someone that clueless about Linux managed to order a Linux machine from Dell. Except for the Mini 9, it's almost impossible to find the Linux machines on Dell's website unless you know what you're looking for, and I'm fairly certain the Dell representative didn't recommend it to her.
jdixon

Jan 18, 2009
11:10 AM EDT
> She doesn't know how to set up an ADSL modem, and nor should she.

The ADSL modem should have come already set up. All she would have needed to know was whether Verizon expected her to use PPPoE or DHCP (I've seen Verizon use both, so there's now way of knowing). The disk merely walks you through setting that up under Windows (PPPoE password, et. al.), installs some specialized Windows specific software which isn't even necessary for the service, and sets up links to Verizon's various web pages.

Of course, what Verizon is doing offering DSL service in Wisconsin is beyond me. That's way outside their normal territory.
azerthoth

Jan 18, 2009
2:18 PM EDT
TA this goes back to the comment I attached when I tried to post this story a few days ago. That this is just another example of why computers should require a license just like driving a car.
tuxchick

Jan 18, 2009
2:32 PM EDT
Thanks TA, you bring a welcome voice of sanity and common sense.

As the pinhead demographic of the Linux world continues to demonstrate, it's a lot more fun to shore up one's own shriveled ego by calling other people stupid, and to write a dozen flames, instead of posting a single helpful comment. It's as though the goons who used to spend their days roasting everyone who dared to enter the Qmail forums fissioned, and now they're all over the place. Wouldn't it be a nice change of pace for folks to get that excited over something that matters. You know, silly ole things like warrantless wiretapping and invading citizen's computers, allowing big business to buy laws that trample civil rights, and other crazy things like that.
jdixon

Jan 18, 2009
2:41 PM EDT
> That this is just another example of why computers should require a license just like driving a car.

Probably not a good idea, as the government could (and would) revoke the license for political reasons. However, your point is taken. And, as with cars, such a license should only be required for the use of public systems, i.e,, the Internet. You don't need a license to drive a car on your own property.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 18, 2009
4:11 PM EDT
jd,

Ever heard of a shipping error?

From Dell's [words that cannot be said here on this staid forum] in order fulfillment it is a plausible answer.

YBT
jdixon

Jan 18, 2009
4:18 PM EDT
> Ever heard of a shipping error?

Yes, but if the machine was supposed to have Windows on it, wouldn't Dell have immediately shipped out a replacement?
gus3

Jan 18, 2009
6:43 PM EDT
Point one: She's an adult, and she needs to act like it. She trusted her classmates inappropriately, rather than find out for herself what she needed for her classes, and now she's paying the price. If she doesn't know what her rights and responsibilities are, that isn't my fault.

Point two: If she'd gotten what she *now* claims she needed--a Microsoft-based system--she'd probably be spreading all kinds of worms, viri, and other undesirables all over the campus network.

Point three: I'm glad point two is not the case, no matter what network she manages to connect to (school, coffeehouse, or whatnot).

Now, she can step back, ask herself where *she* screwed up, and make note for future reference, but do you think she'll do that? Not a chance. Not while there's a TV news camera sending hits to her Myspace page.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 18, 2009
6:49 PM EDT
jd,

Yes, that is possible if panic mode had not settled into her mind. Another aspect is that netbooks* with their slim margins the Dell rep might have played down the replacement rights.

* somebody's trademark or other I have no idea who the proper claimant holds title at this moment, which I am sure will be solved after extensive litigation, just saying using only public usage for editorial purposes**

** not sullying the product and making no claim of ownership now or in the future to perpetuity***

*** that is, unless and only if and only if some kind individual gives me a percentage fraction of said intellectual property rights, which gives me rights to threaten one and all for theft of my creation

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!