Having Linux as a Young Woman keeps the contrast

Story: Move over PC and Mac; it's time for "I'm Linux"Total Replies: 19
Author Content
tracyanne

Jan 19, 2009
5:39 PM EDT
I like what Firecad2006 did, leveraging the Novell idea of Linux as a young woman. I think this is a great idea, it clearly differentialtes Linux from Mac and Windows (PC). She is young and sexy, and a lot of people will either want to be with her or be her, depending in Gender.

I think promoting Linux as a young sexy Female is a good idea.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 19, 2009
5:49 PM EDT
I agree. But it's too bad that Novell's execution of the idea was a lot better than Firecad2006's. His is too amateurish. It doesn't flow.
tracyanne

Jan 19, 2009
6:49 PM EDT
True, but Novell spent a lot of money to get a professional result.

The thing is the Linux as a Young Woman doesn't have to, and shouldn't really, leverage the I'm a Mac thing. But a professional advertising firm could really do something with that concept.
tracyanne

Jan 20, 2009
9:25 PM EDT
I'd like to see an add where lots of different people Old, young, male, female, and obviously not tech heads talk about using linux. One of those interview type ads. That asks 'Who uses linux", and these people saying "I do"
KernelShepard

Jan 20, 2009
10:27 PM EDT
Didn't IBM have some good Linux adverts back in early 2000 or 2001ish time frame?
tracyanne

Jan 20, 2009
10:34 PM EDT
Yes but they are old... and IBM doesn't advertise Linux as they quote: "provide solutions". We need new material.
gus3

Jan 20, 2009
10:43 PM EDT
They had the one with the kid learning all kinds of things from all kinds of people (plumber, pilot, Muhammad Ali, Penny Marshall, etc.). The intention wasn't to talk about how stable or feature-rich Linux is, but to talk about its flexibility and adaptability. In that, the commercial succeeded.

Being removed from the tech movers and shakers at the time, I can't say how much buzz it created.
ColonelPanik

Jan 20, 2009
11:25 PM EDT
How about helios (Ken) for the face of Linux? Just a little different, kind of... almost... well, you know. Don't know how he would do in a dress but that can be worked out.

There is nothing "main stream" about Linux. Sure you can run it in the server room, maybe do a slick presentation. Even run a stock market or bank, but take it to the prom?
tuxchick

Jan 20, 2009
11:47 PM EDT
Of course you can take it to the prom, colonel. Security will probably shadow you all night, but at least you'll be at the party :)
jacog

Jan 21, 2009
9:52 AM EDT
Not sure having Linux personified is necessarily positive... I mean, what kind of person is this... free, as in free for anyone to use as they please? That's village bicycle territory. ;)
tracyanne

Jan 21, 2009
4:13 PM EDT
Free as in "Come on Girls,[let's have fun] lets go party", Free as in freedom to do what they like.
jezuch

Jan 21, 2009
4:25 PM EDT
Quoting:Free as in freedom to do what they like.

I'm not sure I'd like to imagine that...
tracyanne

Jan 21, 2009
4:28 PM EDT
Girls just wanna have fun...
Sander_Marechal

Jan 21, 2009
4:38 PM EDT
/me biting my lips
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2009
4:45 PM EDT
Me doing what I like is having a troop of slaves clean my house and cook my dinner and rub my feet. Now that's living.
azerthoth

Jan 21, 2009
7:00 PM EDT
Sorry, I cant clean your house TC, I dont do Windows.
ColonelPanik

Jan 21, 2009
8:01 PM EDT
azerthoth doesn't do windows and neither should YOU.
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2009
8:16 PM EDT
Wow, tough crowd. Fine, I guess I'll figure out how to rub my own darned feet.
tracyanne

Jan 21, 2009
8:36 PM EDT
I have a dog that will lick them for you. Is that ok?
jacog

Jan 22, 2009
3:00 AM EDT
Perfectly fine thread goes bad. I, of course, had nothing to do with it. Nope.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!