Living free with Linux

Story: Living free with Linux: 2 weeks without WindowsTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
ColonelPanik

Jan 21, 2009
7:59 PM EDT
Good article, this guy stayed long enough to get Ubuntu installed and working. Bravo.

From the last page of the article:

The bottom line For someone who has been using in Windows since the days of Windows 2.0, trying to live in Linux for free was easier than I expected. Although installation was filled with some glitches, once I got it installed, Ubuntu's overall interface and operations was surprisingly similar to Windows, and quite simple to use.
techiem2

Jan 21, 2009
8:15 PM EDT
Yes, I commend his effort. Overall not a bad article.

However I thought some things were rather unfair. He mentions installing being a pain, but never mentions using the actual Ubuntu intaller, only downloaded packages from web sites (which of course can be confusing depending on the archive format and such). He also seems to be saying that updating is bad because he doesn't understand what the updates are, which isn't exactly fair considering the general descriptions of Windows Updates are generally not exactly helpful (and are only updates to the OS and its features, not almost everything installed on the system). The network problems of course, are an MS issue as they tend to tweak samba and windows' behavior with it from version to version, so no surprises there.

I can't really comment on the install issues, as I don't know much about Wubi, but I thought it was still fairly immature and thus problems with it would be expected.
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2009
8:20 PM EDT
Keep in mind this is not some "ordinary luser", but someone who has been in tech for years and years, and who has written a gazillion books and articles.
bigg

Jan 21, 2009
10:03 PM EDT
The article overall was not that bad. What DOES bother me is that the guy not only writes about tech, my recollection is that he writes about Linux. Articles like this:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/windows_7_microsofts_linux_ki...

If you are going to talk about the death of an OS, you ought to at least have a vague idea what the OS is like.
ColonelPanik

Jan 21, 2009
10:29 PM EDT
If, and thats a big if, he stays with Linux as long as he has with winders, we just may have another good Linux scribe.

bigg

Jan 21, 2009
10:36 PM EDT
He's pretty good as far as tech journalists go.
tuxchick

Jan 22, 2009
12:38 AM EDT
Bigg, I would amend that to "Windows journalists", and yes, he is pretty good at that.
mortenalver

Jan 22, 2009
5:09 AM EDT
What is this "markup" feature that OpenOffice doesn't support? If he is talking bout the "Track changes" feature, it is fully supported, even when you pass documents between OO and Word, so I suppose it must be something else?
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2009
9:27 AM EDT
He made the classic mistake of assuming the Windows way of installing software in the proper way to install, and made a rod for his own back in the process.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 22, 2009
1:13 PM EDT
@tracyanne: True, but it's a mistake that many Windows people who migrate to Ubuntu seem to make, even though Ubuntu has such a nice "Add/remove applications" menu entry (on top of an extra package manager).

Makes you think though. How can you make it even easier? Put an icon called "Download and install software" on the desktop? Perhaps. I think many Windows refugees may not understand "Add / remove applications". Windows has something similar but that's for installing applications *after* you downloaded them or bought them on CD.
bigg

Jan 22, 2009
2:01 PM EDT
> Put an icon called "Download and install software" on the desktop? Perhaps.

I've always been puzzled why Ubuntu doesn't have at least a Quick Start Guide icon on the desktop. The problems the author had are perfectly reasonable.

My preference is what you suggest.

My real preference is to have a "Windows user mode" that provides easy access to only the most basic tasks. The mode could be changed when the user is comfortable with the basics.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 22, 2009
2:43 PM EDT
Quoting: "Windows user mode"

Notepad and web browser? ;)

A user guide (two, really...a quickstart guide and an in-depth guide) would be great. Windows users are used to driving a freaking Chevette, we're handing them the keys to a four-wheel-drive-SUV/sports car/rocket ship, they need a little help to get a grip on the differences.
bigg

Jan 22, 2009
2:52 PM EDT
> Notepad and web browser? ;)

No, I was thinking a couple viruses and some spyware. Maybe a keystroke logger at random.
tuxchick

Jan 22, 2009
2:52 PM EDT
While these are all excellent and helpful ideas, they don't address the chronic problem of tech journalists playing dumb and pretending to be some sort of mythical dimwit luser who can't figure out which shoe goes on which foot, let alone learn Linux. And for some weird reason Windows is perfect for these people.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 22, 2009
4:09 PM EDT
Be fair now Carla. The author didn't pretend to be dimwitted but leveraged the (Windows) skills he knew and called Linux friends (SJVN) when he was stuck.
tracyanne

Jan 22, 2009
4:10 PM EDT
Well I was just given another Laptop to upgrade to Linux, so there.
ABCC

Jan 22, 2009
4:22 PM EDT
nice article, just one question:

how can kb-1209124 security update kb-2132342 windows update kb-0240324 internet exploder update

coupled with the same list of kb0490943s in add/remove apps be preferable to a list of apps (which he admits he doesnt know....) be seen as worse?

the end of page 3 alludes to previous to a point made earlier, but which isn't actually stated until p4.

does he conclude to say that proofreading on linux just isnt as sophisticated as on winders? (/me has given up on the article..)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!