seems pitiful, doesn't it

Story: Microsoft debunks Linux mythsTotal Replies: 18
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 27, 2009
1:22 AM EDT
...that the giant of the industry feels like it has to lie its collective heads off in order to compete against the pipsqueak Linux?
gus3

Jan 27, 2009
1:27 AM EDT
What was it Gandhi said? "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win, then we all go out for burgers."

Or something like that.
tuxchick

Jan 27, 2009
1:29 AM EDT
Veggie burgers, if Gandhi said it :)
vainrveenr

Jan 27, 2009
8:00 PM EDT
Mohandas Gandhi's quote was
Quoting:First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
(see http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/m/mohandasga103630.... as well as other fine url's on this)

Seems from the first comment following the piece by a LeeNukes -- a pronunciation variant of "Linux" of course -- that the upper echelons of Microsoft management are still "starvin' for the good fight". Certainly a visible serving of anti-Linux FUD dished out in Allchin's and Martin's extracted statements here.

azerthoth

Jan 27, 2009
8:14 PM EDT
You know, I have always had an issue with that phrase, in that it is so easily disproven as a universal truism. It sounds good, and makes the 'underdog' feel good about their position, but is ultimately meaningless.
jdixon

Jan 27, 2009
8:22 PM EDT
> ...but is ultimately meaningless.

Not quite, but it only works against a particular kind of opponent. A type which Microsoft most assuredly isn't.
ColonelPanik

Jan 27, 2009
8:40 PM EDT
So far its working for me, but we are only up to that laughing part.
gus3

Jan 27, 2009
9:52 PM EDT
@jdixon:

Microsoft went from the ignoring stage to the laughing stage around 1999. The dismissals at the time out of Redmond went something like, "If the hackers and slackers and fringe lunatics want to play around with it, let them, but they'll be left out in the cold when it comes to real production-quality code." Which we all know now (and some knew even then) was a bald-faced lie, both regarding the quality of Linux (the kernel) and the implied "quality" of Windows.

However, Microsoft's un-publicized stance regarding Linux was one of fear, as the Halloween Documents demonstrated. They knew even before 1998 that they would need to say something about Linux for their investors. Their behavior in 1999 showed that they had taken to heart the warnings of Vinod Valloppillil.

Maybe a year after that, they were in full-panic mode as they tried to involve the United Nations in a "patch distribution infrastructure" role (read: "software piracy cops"), as a strike against the idea of sharing knowledge freely. And that was just the beginning: SCO, Steve Ballmer (duck!), Jim Allchin, Craig Mundie, more Halloween documents, EU sanctions, OOXML/ISO...

Microsoft barely took any time to laugh at us, before gathering their munitions for the fight. Yet, we're still here, still dodging comfortably(?) every swipe of the lumbering behemoth.

It is indeed a Gandhian scenario, in which the aggressive bully will exhaust himself, just by following his own nature, while the object of his aggression proves too nimble an opponent.

Look at the inroads of the Mozilla programs, especially Firefox, on the desktop, and FOSS in general on the server. Not to mention the MITRE report detailing FOSS in military roles. Even BSD-based Macintosh OS X has FOSS brainwaves (and a set of sooper-seekrit proprietary limbs). This barely scratches the surface.

Microsoft, at least in its current state, cannot keep up with FOSS. The development model is too fast, the spectrum of software is too broad. The fight may yet be long, but FOSS will win. People demanding choice on their computers will guarantee that.
flufferbeer

Jan 27, 2009
10:26 PM EDT
I think that Jim Allchin is certainly not ignoring Linux and few at M$ can even _afford_ to do so with things as they are. I see the problem as reversed from what jdixon writes. Instead of _M$_ not being the particular type of opponent which jdixon writes that this Gandhi phrase applies to, its _Linux_ which is not being the particular type of opponent here.

How can the M$ honchos effectively laugh off or fight as indistinct a target as Linux?? I think and see that M$'s effort to fight off the encroachment of Linux continues to be like a live human being trying to physically fight off an incorporeal ghost that continues to haunt him/her whether at Halloween-time or otherwise. It just cannot be done, at least as far as fully GPL'd non-commercial uses of Linux that is ( occult-like efforts to rid oneself of ghosts are other concerns :D ) OTOH, we all continue to see how M$ targets actual corporate entities to which it _CAN_ point a finger at, or sue in court, or even effectively threaten with vague IP patent violations. So until more and more verifiable and tangible companies consider to completely adopt Linux and FOSS, I just dont see how M$ can use strategies to put Linux down other than by spreading myths and other FUD. Just my own 2c here.

Scott_Ruecker

Jan 27, 2009
10:26 PM EDT
Once enough people are personally (as in one-on-one) exposed to Linux and FOSS and can see for themselves how much more they can get out of their hardware if they use Linux instead of Windows.

Even on a live CD they can see the difference most of the time. Then we will literally hear Microsoft's Death Bell ring as people and not just big faceless businesses start switching by the tens of thousands.

tuxchick

Jan 27, 2009
10:32 PM EDT
Y'all know the missing piece from MS' strategy-- sell something good, reliable, and fairly-priced. Instead they put all of their energy into lies, propaganda, bribery, and strong-arming. Which left them too tired to create decent products.
ColonelPanik

Jan 28, 2009
12:07 AM EDT
Scott & TC: Both right.

People ain't all that dumb. Show them something better... they will use it!
tracyanne

Jan 28, 2009
2:30 AM EDT
Well I can say that a few more people are about to try Linux.

My partner mentioned Linux on a discussion she was having on a Social board, and someone asked what Linux is, as they had never heard of it. So she got me to reply, and I did providing links and some background.

Turns out some of the people reading the board now want to download and try Linux.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 28, 2009
3:11 AM EDT
Same here Tracyanne. I installed Ubuntu on my dad's new laptop alongside Vista (I forbade him to go online with Vista) and he's told his coworkers about it. Now he's handing out Live CDs :-) I'm a tad worried though as he knows very little about computers so he probably can't resolve things like a computer booting from HDD first, but I'll aks him about that later.
theboomboomcars

Jan 28, 2009
10:19 AM EDT
Quoting:but I'll aks him about that later.

That is a great typo, if you read it phonetically it has a very different meaning.
TxtEdMacs

Jan 28, 2009
10:56 AM EDT
One up you boom boom,

In New Yorkees:
Quoting: ... but I'll axes him about that later.

That's more to my taste: retribution.

YBT
azerthoth

Jan 28, 2009
12:27 PM EDT
... and they sail blithely along, so assured of their superiority that even with the odds stacked against them that they can't possibly loose.

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, and then, historically speaking you loose.

Another thing it's called is a rope-a-dope, where you let an opponent expend his energy pummeling you senseless on the theory that you will have more energy at the end of the fight. The problem is, you have to let them pummel you senseless and spend the energy. It has worked on occasion, Muhammad Ali, for example. For that one shining example of success though, how many were beaten unconscious .

Heck we dont even need MS to beat us up, we do a good enough job of doing it to ourselves. Roy's tinfoil beanie brigade, love/hate Ubuntu, the numerous predictions of the death of Gentoo, and the list goes on and on.

I have my hopes that Linux will prevail, but honestly, even Vegas wouldn't lay odds on it.
ColonelPanik

Jan 28, 2009
2:39 PM EDT
tracyanne, I have to put you up on a pedestal like I did helios. I only have one pedestal so you and helios have to share.

azerthoth: Having a bad day dude? Who knows what will happen? Until something does, we can fritter away our time with Linux. And what if nothing happens? We Linux users will keep frittering away our time. Maybe do some good? We sure are not hurting anyone.
tracyanne

Jan 28, 2009
4:38 PM EDT
@CP: I hate heights, can I come down, now, please.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!