Yes, TaxAct.com

Story: H & R Block Works with LinuxTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
macemoneta

Jan 31, 2009
3:52 PM EDT
I agree with the previous poster. I've been using TaxAct.com with Linux for years. It works flawlessly, is easy to file with (even when I had a business doing consulting), is very low cost for state filing, and it provides excellent communication on the progress. In addition, they've never been hit with a security breach, unlike some of the other online filing sites. I can't understand why people use anything else.
jdixon

Jan 31, 2009
5:09 PM EDT
> I can't understand why people use anything else.

Well, their free Windows version is nagware, but I've never had a problem telling people no when it comes to spending money. I also understand it works fine with Wine, so that's also an option.

My wife and I have used it the past two years, and the free version meets our needs. We especially like that it gives you free electronic filing. All the others we looked at changed extra for electronic filing.
Bob_Robertson

Jan 31, 2009
6:17 PM EDT
I certainly would use it if I were preparing my own taxes, but it's been years since mine got too complex for that. Accountants earn their money at tax time.

I'm quite pleased to see the processing moved online, instead of having it be performed locally. Not because I'm into "cloud" computing or whatever, but because I don't want to have to buy another set of software each year.
ColonelPanik

Jan 31, 2009
8:47 PM EDT
FreeTaxUSA.com My dear wife did federal and state today! Using Linux. Linux.
land0

Feb 01, 2009
9:48 AM EDT
@colonelPanik

Our state is not yet supported:(

Maybe next year.
Igor

Feb 01, 2009
2:47 PM EDT
@ColonelPanik

this site taxUsa.com is BOGUS
gus3

Feb 01, 2009
6:03 PM EDT
Igor:

It's FREEtaxusa.com.
ColonelPanik

Feb 01, 2009
7:51 PM EDT
Received email conformation this AM that our return was accepted by the IRS.
tuxchick

Feb 01, 2009
8:13 PM EDT
I'm too lazy to search back through the threads and figure it out for myself...are any of you folks who are trusting your taxes to some remote online service provider the same ones who rail against "the cloud", because using "the cloud" cedes control of your data to an outside party?
NoDough

Feb 01, 2009
8:19 PM EDT
TC,

Yep, I would fit that description.

However, I consider the risk here somewhat mitigated as I keep copies of all my returns. I can go somewhere else whenever I please.

Of course, there's nothing to mitigate the security risks. :(
ComputerBob

Feb 02, 2009
6:00 PM EDT
"I'm too lazy to search back through the threads and figure it out for myself...are any of you folks who are trusting your taxes to some remote online service provider the same ones who rail against "the cloud", because using "the cloud" cedes control of your data to an outside party?"

Yup, I'm guilty, your honor.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!